Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been overcharged on their credit card at restaurants in Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Has anyone been overcharged on their credit card at restaurants in Puerto Vallarta?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Mary

Hi-- <BR>I have heard that some people have been overcharged on their credit cards at restaurants in Cancun. Has anyone had this problem in Puerto Vallarta. We are trying to figure out how much cash we should take on our trip. How do you usually pay when you go to restaurants in Puerto Vallarta--by pesos or credit card? Thank you very much for your input. We are very excited about this trip. As you might have guessed, it will be our 1st time there. From what I have read, it is a great place for a vacation. Mary

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:27 AM
loangalsal

After many trips to PV, we have only had one problem with a restaurant bill and it did not have to do with our credit card. They just added an extra $50 to the bill before giving it to us and then explained it as a mathematical error when we discovered it. As when you dine anywhere, just look at the bill before you pay it. I charge everything there so that I don't have to carry lots of cash, and have never had a problem with that. You will LOVE PV, have fun!

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 10:33 AM
JRinPV

Be aware that not all restuarants here will accept credit cards, but we have many ATM machines.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:15 PM
asfuller

I went to Cancun about three years ago, and I'm getting ready to go to P.V. in a day! But, one thing I was told by our travel guide- when using a credit card- write the word pesos on it, so that the dollar amount can not be mistaken for U.S. or pesos. Then the merchant is suppose to punch the amount in Pesos, and then it is converted to U.S. funds by the Credit Card company. I need that everytime I used a credit card and I didn't have any problems. <BR>I hope that helps- have a a great trip!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:03 AM
stef

Yes, we were Way overcharged, but KEEP all of your receipts, because our credit card company challenged the restaraunt with the bill and they never responded, so our bill was "Free" because they couldn't come up with the receipt!! Write Pesos on all bills!!