Half moon bay or Akumal Bay

Jan 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Half moon bay or Akumal Bay

We have two boys ages 9 and 7 that we plan on taking to akumal. Trying to decide which would be a better location between half moon bay and akumal bay.. They LOVE the water and really enjoy snorkeling and from what I've heard the beach at half moon is very rocky and not super easy to just play around in. However, the only thing I can find in akumal bay is a hotel room at hotel akumal caribe that does not have a kitchenette, and I've found a number of condos with full kitchens in half moon. We like to eat out, just not sure about every meal :/

Any advice would be really appreciated!
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:29 AM
RAC

We stayed on Half Moon Bay over Christmas (Vista del Mar), and would highly recommend staying there. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from HMB to either Yal-Ku lagoon (which has the best snorkeling in the area) or to Akumal Bay (where the sea turtles are). Best part is that it's all private, so no public hordes coming to use the beach. And you're right on the beach/ocean.

There are grocery delivery services in the area, as well as several good restaurants within walking distance on Half Moon Bay itself--Que Onda, La Lunita, Gynn'Ak, and of course La Buena Vida. You can always walk down to Akumal for Lol Ha and other places if you need a change of scenery.

The beach at HMB is fairly rocky once you get into the water, but the snorkeling is pretty good if the waves aren't too bad, and the water is very shallow. There's osprey who hang around there--while we were walking back from La Buena Vida along the beach we saw one grab a fish out of the water.
Jan 28th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Love the Hotel Akumal Caribe but last year and this year I am staying on Half Moon Bay, last year at Vista del Mar and this May at the Playa Caribe casitas. It can be rough i get windy on HMB and you need water shoes for sure, I prefer Akumal for swimming and snorkeling. If you don't want to walk to Akumal you can rent golf carts in the lobby of HAC for $40/day plus deposit, or rent bikes. Take a look at the lodging over on Locogringo, used them again this year for my upcoming trip.
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:06 PM

I've stayed at both bays, and they both have pros and cons. Half Moon is quieter and far less crowded. It can be tricky getting into the water, even with water shoes (my wife stepped on a sea urchin the very first time in). However on a calm day the snorkeling can be great. Akumal Bay is very user friendly for swimming and snorkeling. It does get somewhat crowded, especially by the Lol-Ha restaurant, but you can walk down the beach where it's quieter. The snorkeling at Akumal is also great, but you have to go out several hundred feet to see much.
I'm surprised the Akumal Caribe dosen't have kitchenettes, however the adjoining bungalows do have at least a microwave and fridge. You will get a breakfast included with your room, and can keep lunch foods and drinks in the fridge. There are so many inexpensive and fun places to eat, I suspect you won't be eating dinner in your rooms much. You can also look at the Casitas condos which are also on Akumal Bay and have their own little private beach.
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Just want to mention that Akumal bay is not private, nor is HMB. Of course the most popular is Akumal bay with the turtles and the beautiful and easy to access beach.We have been going to Akumal bay for several years now (from Playa) and the bay is quite full especially on weekends, where it can be very difficult to find a good spot to stretch you beach towel.
Jan 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
RAC

Neither beach is public, but Half Moon Bay has no public access, whereas Akumal Bay does. So, it's very rare to see anyone on HMB's beach other than people staying there. Maybe a few people by La Buena Vida.
Jan 28th, 2014, 02:18 PM
RAC

Ack, neither beach is private, rather.
Jan 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I think we're leaning towards half moon bay simply because it won't be as crowded from what you all have said. We are going the end of march--peak spring break season--so the crowd does concern me. I realize we are going to a touristy place, but trying to keep it as low key as possible.
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM

We've stayed several times at Playa Caribe in HMB and love the location. Love the space and amenities in the condo and it is an easy walk to Akumal Bay and Yal Ku. Beach entry can be a little rocky but I (klutz that I am) can easily manage with water shoes.

One thing to keep in mind with younger kids, when the tide is going out the current can be strong in the center of the bay.
Mar 17th, 2014, 08:01 PM

Are both beaches easy to stroll along? Are they connected?
Mar 18th, 2014, 05:07 AM
RAC

HMB is a lot easier to stroll along due to the large crowds of people at Akumal Bay.

They are not connected--you have to walk along the road between the two for about 15-20 minutes. Keeping in mind that there is no public access to HMB, so the exact distance would depend on where you would be entering/exiting it.
Mar 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Yes HMB is good for strolling but parts have ironshore so wear good shoes or walk along on the road. There are a few places where you can access HMB such as La Buena Vida restaurant and I think there used to be a vacant lot near one of the condos, maybe La Mirage, cannot remember.
Mar 19th, 2014, 08:49 PM

I don't really agree with half moon bay as a fsrst choice. We have been 3-4 times now to Akumal and stayed at the Caraibe. IMO it is by far the best beach if you want to be assured on just stepping out from the beach into a clam bay to swim, see the turtles, etc.

I agree Akumal has gotten crowded, but I still think it is worth it if what you want is great beach access and swimming. IMO HM Bay can be windy and rocky and not what I want when I go to the Yucaan for beach and swimming.
Mar 19th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Sorry that should say Yucatan
Mar 26th, 2014, 08:22 AM

What would staying on Yal-Ku lagoon be like. Loco gringo has villas for rent there, but I wonder if there's access to a walk-along beach.
Mar 26th, 2014, 11:27 AM
RAC

Not really, no. That's the tradeoff. Yal-Ku is quite lovely though.
Jun 30th, 2014, 10:22 PM

Half moon bay less tourists!
Jul 10th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Does anybody know how the construction of the new Secrets between HAC and ABR is affecting the hotels and the town and the beach?
Is it very noisy?
We're considering Akumal in February, but not if the work is obtrusive.
Many thanks.