Search

Guanajuato

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guanajuato

We drove from Queretaro as part of a two town vaction by car with no problems. The roads and signs where easy to navigate. This is a college town with a large middle class. We found the area to be very clean and its inhabitance very friendly!!! We never touched our car once we arrived, taxis cost about $3.00 a trip

Villa Maria Cristina is a lovely hacienda style hotel in a quiet location. As mention before, the rooms are Four Season quality and the steam shower is a wonderful addition. There is a Romanesque spa with a sunken pool which was a very comfortable place to relax. My wife had a spa treatment that she claims was wonderful and I claim, was reasonable!! The spa staff member was warm and friendly,

Overall the staff was well trained and sincere in their service. Breakfast was included in our stay and the food was excellent. We did dine once for dinner and found the food to be good at best, The service here was excellent even with the language barrier.

We ate in several restaurants but one stands out to us; La Capellina.....many locations that we attempt to go on Monday were closed, we stumbled onto La Capellina. A warm an a bit more then just casual rest with an eclectic menu leaning towards Italian. The Chef owner over saw every detail and the food and service were high quality with caring preperation.

The Chef watched every plate that came from the kitchen. at the end of the meal he proudly recommended a poached pare desert he had made with a Tequila sauce..it was superb!!!! My only regret was that this restaurant was not in my neigborhood..caring staff and caring for ingredients makes a great restaurant.

Nice parks and plazas everywhere with flowers and bands playing, it was truely a nice pleasent experience!! Would I go back, probably not due to the fact there are to many places on this great earth we want to see. You can see my other post on La Casa De La Marquesa in Queretaro.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Thanks for you trip report. We will have to check out the Villa Maria Cristina next time we go.

Guanajuato is one of the most unique cities in North America and, thankfully, it's little known by US tourists. I hope it stays that way.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM

You can add my DH and me as lovers of Guanajuato. The wonderful architecture, gardens, mountain-top views, museums and obvious civic pride impressed us far more than we had ever anticipated. Thanks for posting this trip report and informing Fodors readers about this gem of a city.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM

johnb

I note you flew into Leon and had a car, although sounds like you did not use it much. Is it possible to take a taxi or bus from Leon to Queretaro/Guanajuato and avoid the car?

By the way, we just got back from 2 weeks in Peru, put that country on your list!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Taxis are easily found at the Leon airport. As I recall, it was about $35 from Guanajuato. I can't think of any reason to try to drive around Guanajuato--it is definitely the kind of place you will want to wander on foot.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Pausanias

. . . and travel on to Queretaro is easily done by bus from Guanajuato . . .

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Its just your person pref. I got the car from Hertz for under $100 for the week. Driving was easy. Which ever you chose i am sure you will enjoy once you arrive. Yes you wont want car when you get there.

Queretaro buy bus? I am not sure I would be happy but its not a bad 2-3 hours.

Hoyas...Its on my list and has been!!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Thank you, all good ideas