Guanacaste/Nicoya Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- You have all been so helpful in planning our last two trips to Costa Rica that I'm back again as we plan for May. We are flying in and out of Liberia and the tentative plan is to spend the first 3-4 nights in Playa Grande and then head down to Mal Pais for 4 nights. Then we'll have the weekend open before having to catch a 7 am flight on Monday morning out of Liberia. So I'm looking for a little advice:
1) How far, and which route, from P. Grande to Mal Pais? We'll have a rental 4 x 4.
2) Will it be too rainy in Mal Pais in mid-May?
3) Where to stay in Mal Pais? Would like to be on the beach and near surfing.
4)What to do/where to stay on Saturday and Sunday between Mal Pais and Liberia? Need to catch a 7am flight on Monday. Would like to maybe do something inland-river, volcano, wildlife viewing, hiking, etc. We've been to Rincon de la Vieja and interested in possibly trying someplace new.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM

Check out this site - http://www.maptak.com/
for great maps of CR. There appear to be 2 routes, but I have always heard that the coast road is very rough to impassable in places. Many advise going back to Hwy 21 down the middle of the peninsula and south from there. Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM

playa grande is a lovely quiet beach but it's really a surfers beach.
however, a short drive away is Tamarindo with plenty of nightlife:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/tamarindo/home/index.html

you might look at stopping in samara beachbetween mal pais and liberia:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/samara...ome/index.html

next door is one of the most beautiful beaches in costa rica, playa carrillo:
http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html

only 35 mins drive from liberia airport are playa ocotal, playas del coco and playa hermosa:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playas...ome/index.html

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM

I'll almost never disagree with dnc11, but that road south to Paquera on highway 21 (east side of the Nicoya Peninsula) is probably one of (if not THE) roughest roads in Costa Rica. It is literally a nightmare to drive/ride on. Which makes it take much longer than the map would have you believe. My advice would be to drive across the Friendship Bridge (Highway 18), then down the Interamerican to Puntarenas where you can catch the ferry to Paquera. It doesn't take much longer, if any, and you can have nicer roads and also let the ferry move you along for an hour and half!

We were on the south end of Highway 21 a little over a year ago, BEFORE the heavy rains of last fall. I've heard others who have been on that road since comment on its difficulties. And it's not particulary scenic, as compared to the ferry ride across the Gulf of Nicoya.

Rain is anyone's guess, but mid May is just the start of the rainy season, so hopefully you can expect small rainfall amounts--not enough to spoil anything for you.

We loved Tropico Latino in Ste. Teresa (right next to Malpais). There was always a lot of surfing going on in front of us. There is only one true beachfront bungalow, and if you could snag it right away, I think you'd enjoy staying there. Very nice central location.

Near Liberia, at Bagaces, there are some waterfalls (don't know the name) that others on Fodor's could tell you about. Percy? They are known mostly to the locals, so not so touristy. Also you might consider a float trip on the Corobici River for wildlife viewing--near Las Canas.

Volcan Tenorio has wonderful hiking. It's a pretty good drive from Liberia to Las Canas, then up near Bijagua, but beautiful. There is a gorgeous waterfall with brilliant blue water. . .Rio Celeste. Try to find a guide if you choose to spend a day going up there. We stayed at a nearby lodge, La Carolina, and our meals and tour was included. We loved it. Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM

Shillmac's experience is much more recent than mine and I have actually read complaints about the lack of maintainence on this road from other sources too. If you look at the map, it looks just fine.....LOL!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM

The waterfall that shillmac mentions is the one that is about a mile out of the town of Bagaces.

For some reasons it is not mentioned in many of the books on Costa Rica.

It is just a short drive off the Inter American Highway at Bagaces....if you are coming from Liberia you turn Right as you enter Bagaces.( Catarata means waterfall....you will see the sign)

One more thing I should mention:

As you drive further along the Inter American Highway past Bagaces and on your way to Canas.....
then on your LEFT hand side there is a place called:

Widelife Sanctuary Rescue Reserve.

Every known wild animal in Costa Rica is here, and it is a total treat to see them all , because you will never see them in the wild.

However,
it is a private rescue sanctuary and not open to the public unless you are lucky enough to have someone take you there.( I spent about 2 hours there)

But if you are passing by ,then just turn in off the highway...the drive is about a block long...... and ask if you could "pretty" please see the animals.

I can assure you that you will be amazed!

Hi shillmac

Percy

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hi Percy.

Good info you just imparted. . .I'm taking notes. Thanks!

Your time is almost nigh!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Someone mentioned going over the bridge to the ferry - I think that is the best way to go.

But I recommend going to Nosara (playa Guijonnes really) for a night and heading to Mal Pais the next day. Guijonnes is really good for surfing, super laid back little area - bonfires at night on the beach.

I stayed in Tamagringo the night before we flew out of Liberia - its about 1 1/2 hours away - I think Playa Flamingo area would be closer and you'd still be at the beach.