Guadalajara: Please help me decide on an area

Sep 17th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Guadalajara: Please help me decide on an area

We are a middle-aged couple and will be in Guadalajara from Nov 7-11. I have been once before, for my husband it is his first time. When I was there I stayed in the Hotel Morales, which I think is right outside of the Centro Historico. Because I was alone, I never went out after dark, so I don’t’ know how scary or creepy the area was at night. We are not looking to bar hop or stay out all night, but we do enjoy a couple of drinks and a convivial atmosphere.

I have stayed at NH hotels before and like the brand so I am considering the two choices in Guadalajara, one is in Centro and the other in Providencia. Can anyone comment on either of these hotels or neighborhoods? I’ve heard Providencia is upscale, is it upscale as in snooty upscale? As for the NH in Centro, is it really deserted around there once it gets dark? As I mentioned, we are not exactly night owls and would most likely be back to the hotel by 11PM.

I am also open to choosing a completely different hotel in the Colonia Americana, but my major concern is that the “young” in the sense that I think it might be a college vibe. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Any help in clarification would be very appreciated. I am really looking forward to the trip!

Sep 17th, 2019, 11:37 AM

We stayed at Hotel Morales last Christmas and had a pretty good time. We didn’t feel at all threatened in the surrounding area and wander per around quite happily at night. It was however, very quiet over the Xmas period with a lot of restaurants closed over Xmas day. As you know I am sure it is a great location for Centro historico.

In hindsight, I wish we hadn’t spent so much time in the city and, if we did return, I think we would stay in Tlalapaque which had a much nicer, albeit more touristy, vibe.
Sep 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I was even considering Morales again, but they are booked!