Reload this Page >

Guadalajara and Which Pacific Beach Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Howard

I am planning an 8 or 9 day trip to Mexico for this fall, dividing the time up between Guadalajara and another location - probably a Pacific beach place. Thinking of splitting the time up between the two pretty evenly and am looking for suggesitons on where to go. Puerto Vallarta would be the easiest to get to by bus and is an obvious choice. Zijuatanejo seems appealing but bus ride is long - maybe 12 hours. Some small places in between would be ok. Any suggestions? <BR><BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Susan

This is almost the same question that I have as well, only mine is the opposite. We will have 2 weeks, probably in January or February. We had pretty well decided on Puerto Vallarta because we'll be flying Air Canada (using Airmiles) and it's been 16 years since we were there. We thought we might stay in Bucerias instead of PV. I haven't been there, but have heard good things about that area. Then we would go somewhere in the interior - I was thinking Guadalajara as well because it would be a relatively short bus trip. Any other ideas? <BR><BR>I loved Zijuatanejo for a beach destination, but I agree - 12 hours is too long a bus trip for me. Especially with only 8 or 9 days, Howard, I would definitely look elsewhere. I'll be interested in any other replies you get to your question. <BR><BR>Seems early to be thinking of my winter vacation, but we seem to have missed spring here in Toronto. Just too cold and wet this year!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Howard

Susan - Thanks for the reply. Regarding where to go in the interior, it depends on how long you are going for. Guad. is an obvious choice due to ease of getting there, but if you are going for more than a few days of your 2 week trip, you should def. combine Guad. (or even replace it) with the smaller colonial towns of Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende. Both are very nice and very interesting.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Susan

I just replied to your other note. Much more fun thinking about travel instead of work. <BR><BR>We've actually done a fair amount of travel in Mexico so we've been to both San Miguel and Guanajuato. I agree, both very nice destinations. We've also been to Morelia, Patzcuaro, etc. Have you been to Zacatecas? I've heard that it's interesting, but I'm not sure of the logistics of combining Guadalajara with another city in the interior. <BR><BR>I did think of another beach destination - friends of ours go to Melaque, which I think is closer to Manzanillo. There's 2 towns - Melaque being one of them, and I can't remember the name of the other, but I think it's supposed to be a little nicer. <BR><BR>Good luck with your plans. (I think if you can spare the time, Turkey is definitely worth a closer look!)<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Howard

Susan - Thanks to your reply to both of my notes. I will check out Melaque - I vaguely remember seeing the name in something I was reading.<BR><BR>I have been to Zacatecas - I don't know how far it is from Guad., but I wouldn't imagine it is more than 3 or 4 hours....certainly doable if you will be int he interior for even half your trip.<BR><BR>Zacatecas is very nice....maybe not up to Gunanjuato in my opinion...but more attractions to see than Morelia or Patzcuaro. <BR><BR>One palce I would like to visit is Real de Catorce. Have you heard of it? An old mining town...but now almost a ghost town. Sounds pretty neat...but it is a long bus ride from anywhere else that is of much interest. You may wnat to check that out...if for nothing else...jsut to learn about.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Susan

The Mexican (Julie Roberts and Brad Pitt) was filmed in Real de Catorce. The movie wasn't that good, but the locale looked amazing. I watched the credits just to see where it was made!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Peggy

We enjoyed Sayulita, small fishing village 45 minutes north of PV. Little beach restaurants, good kayaking & surfing & casitas to rent on the hillside. Further south & depending on your budget is Costa Careyes hotel (we loved it), upscale & secluded & then south of there is Tamarindo (we're going in Octber) & then Melaque & La Manzanilla & the village of Tenacatita , small towns on the coast north of Barra de Navidad & Manzanillo.<BR> If you're looking for a big resort & people go to PV or small authentic go to Sayulita. You can drive into PV for the day for shopping & sightseeing. Hope that helps!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Susan

Peggy, would you advise having a car if you stay in Sayulita? Or would it be possible to manage just using local buses? <BR><BR>Also, any recommendations on inexpensive accommodation? (I know that's a relative term - I'm dealing in Canadian dollars, so would prefer no more than $100 CAD - about $60-$65 US.) <BR><BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Peggy

We stayed at Casa Carolina www.vrbo.com/vrbo/5108.htm for about $450.00US for 7 nights so that is in the ballpark. Book Casita #1 or #4 as they are the ones pictured with a big terrace with loungers & view of the beach. #2 & #3 are back further, one being over the garage. Verify that with the owners though. We stayed in #4, the blue bedroom one in the photos. We loved it, private & everything is within walking distance. The steps are steep to the beach or down the dirt road to town (5 minutes)& also to the beach/restaurants that way. It is a small town, dirt roads with dogs & children playing in the street. Some people may not enjoy that but we do. We bought all our groceries at the local stores (just brought our own coffee) & ate at the local restaurants where a beer is still 75 cents or a dollar & lots of fresh caught seafood. The casita provides bottled water & fresh towels once a week. The shower was great with views directly to the ocean. Kitchen with all you need to cook. The couple in one of the other casitas took the bus from PV. Ask to drop you at the town square, just a short, though at places steep walk up to the casitas. We usually vacation at pretty expensive places but this was a nice quiet hideaway with no interruptions & for the money a complete delight. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Susan

Thanks Peggy. This gives me something to plan.