Notices

Advice on travel in CR at Xmas

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Julia

Advice on travel in CR at Xmas

Can anyone answer these few questions for me:
(1) is costa rica a nice place to go in late Dec in terms of weather and crowds?
(2) for a 2-week trip, is a lot of air travel required, or can many things be seen simply by renting a car
-if so, where to go?
(3) is it pretty affordable?

Thank you!!!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM
pjr

Hi Julia:

I cannot answer question one as I was there in October.

As for a lot of air travel, I do not think so. Many people rent a car and drive around the country. We hired a driver and went on day trips to various places. I think it all depends on where you want to go. Do a search on this forum, many people have posted nice places to visit. Again, it depends on if you want to lay on a beach or be active, or both. I would recommend a guide book. I used Frommer's which was okay.

I thought that Costa Rica was a good deal. Again, it depends on where you stay. We stayed at Vista del Valle and to a lot of people it was expensive, we had three to a room so it was pretty affordable to us. As for food and activities, I thought they were cheap.

I have only been there once, but there are a couple of ladies who answer many questions about Costa Rica, maybe they will see this and help you out more than I can.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:52 PM
David Cook

I have not been there then but have heard that Dec is "high" season: more crowds, expensive, etc. Two weeks is great, plenty of time and you can drive everywhere, no prob. Affordable? Not like it was 10 years ago, but by US standards, yes.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Robbie

The beaches are pretty packed in December as both tourists and local people come out to enjoy the summer weather. You need to make reservatons by Novmber 15th at the latest for beach places. However, the inland traveling isn't such a bg deal, there doesn't seem to be as much demand. The prices on hotels are generally 20% hgher than normal. You can ether fly or drive or do a combination. Domestic flights run about 46 dollars per person per flight.
They are generally much easier on the bod and then you can rent a car at your destination in many cases. For example, Manuel Antono/Quepos is 3.5 hours to drive, 20 minutes to fly. You can rent a car out here for just a day and can get to all local things with a taxi. Taxis are inexpensive and personally, unless you are getting a great deal on a car it is cheaper to fly and rent a car by the day if you need one.
I am a little based toward the fly/drive idea smply because I have arthritis and 3 or 4 hour drives are simply too hard on my body. Driving around is fun, and if you get a nice price on a car and like to drive, that will work as well.
Best wishes!
Robbie
[email protected]

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:40 PM
carrie

1) LOVED Costa Rica in December..caught our own xmas dinner and danced with locals during new years celebrations. We went for 2 and 1/2 weeks 2 years ago and found it to be perfect (going back this winter). Someone else mentioned crowds...I found there were very little crowds. The hotels we stayed at didn't seem to be booked completely (and it was during the Millinium). Weather: Perfect.
2) It depends on what you want to do- we concentrated on the Nicoya Peninsula down to Manual Antonio Park (all along the pacific coast) so we could drive the whole way, starting in San Jose. For us, that's where a lot of the fun is...driving along local roads and seeing real towns, farms, cattle, etc. This year we're going much further south to Osa Peninsula, so we're flying there. Where to go? Nicoya Peninsula was our favorite in the places we stayed the first time...Tambor is wonderful...Rio Mar has a new place called The Place (seems super cool and super cheap - $60 - www.surftheplace.com) Near Montazuma which can be a fun little town (if you don't mind patouli-smelling young hippies of the 21st century).
3)Yes, Costa Rica can be dirt-cheap...and still be enjoyable. Sometimes splurging for a night or two is nice, too. That's what is wonderful about Costa Rica... if you do your homework (on sites like this, go to the library, etc.) you can find a couple areas/properties that offer everything you are looking for. Something for everyone. Love costa rica....
Have a grand time.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Roxy

I think that would be a good time. We usually go in January. We always rent a car haven't tried the air. Public trans takes longer but is okay. Check out my site about our trip.

www.travelwithroxy.com