Great driver recommendation in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a 10 day family trip to CR (trip report coming) but I wanted to post about our fantastic driver Leo Rodriguez ([email protected], phone 506-8378-0001). Over the course of our trip Leo drove us from San Jose to Arenal, from Arenal to Manual Antonio, and back to San Jose from Manual Antonio. He was a fantastic driver and impromptu tour guide, telling us many interesting facts about CR as he drove and pointing out different things. His recommendations for tours, restaurants , etc were spot on and we enjoyed everything he suggested. He added so much to our trip and we consider him a friend now. If you need a driver in CR I would contact Leo, you will not be disappointed! He also does guided tours, hiking expeditions, etc. You may contact me if you need more info, my email is [email protected].
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I'm using him in November to go to Savegre, so glad to hear that you had a great time with him. He is so easy to communicate with and responds to every e-mail quickly. He comes with high recommendations from many people on this forum.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Colibri, you will love Leo. Tell him Mike and Laura from Texas said hi Wish we were going back, we've only been home 5 days and we miss CR already!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Will do - I'm keeping a list of everyone who wants me to say hello from this forum!!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM

I'm curious as to the cost. We are also traveling from SJ to Arenal to MA and then back SJ. We were thinking of renting a car... but a driver might be a good idea.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:07 AM

We are using Leo for our first leg - SJ to Savegre/San Gerardo de Dota - $140. Costa Rica Gateways set up drivers for our other three segments - Savegre to Rancho Naturalista/outside of Turrialba - $150, Rancho to Selva Verde/Sarapiqui - $150, SV to SJO - $125. I am splitting the costs with three friends, so well worth it to us not to have to hassle with driving. Normally my husband and I rent a car or are with Tico friends, so this is my first time with private drivers.

Most people tip $20-25 and if you stop for meals or snacks, you purchase your driver's too.

Personally I like a car for the Arenal area because it is so spread out. At MA it's very easy to catch inexpensive taxis. We are going to birding lodges, so won't need a car other than to reach the lodge.

I think I've recently seen quotes here for SJO - Arenal $150 and from Arenal to MA $180, then MA back to SJO $150.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I checked on some other rates for drivers before we went and Leo was very competitive, for instance he charged us $160 for Arenal to MA while other drivers quoted $180, etc.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Glad to hear how good Leo is. We are booked with him in March for transfers from SJ to Arenal and Arenal to MA.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM

I'd like some info about using a private driver. Did you use the driver just to transport you from one place to the next, and then spend a few days and then have him come back to take you to the next stop? Or did the driver stay with you for the whole time? we are planning an 8-10 day vacation and want to see several places -- but staying a few days at each. I guess we'd want tours at some of the places but understand that the hotels can arrange that.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Drivers/guides come in all flavors with any combination of services. Many like Leo are great, friendly, and a lot of fun to drive with. They can offer some info on the nature you see but have mostly general information that a natural born Costa Rican would have about their country and the people who live there. Some drivers like Leo love to share their knowledge. Others offer driving but with additional abilities such as being a naturalist guide that can point out birds, animals, plants, etc. They generally have equipment such as spotting scope, binoculars, etc to give you a better look at things. These people do command a higher rate because of the extra effort and time involved in learning all of those things but can be your bird guide for many places instead of having to hire one once you get there. They can also provide private birding/wildlife stops along the way. Nothing wrong with either type of driver. It just depends on your preferences. Leo does get great reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to use him if my regular driver/naturalist guide wasn't available. We are avid birders so go that route.

Some drivers do not stay with you and act as tour guides, some do. You can hire them to guide as well as drive you for a small portion or a large portion of your trip. Our guide goes out for as long as 3 weeks at a time with some people and others for just a day or two but can still offer just the driving portion when you don't want a full time guide.

San Gerardo de Dota is a great place. The best place imo to see the Quetzal. We were there again last Feb and saw them with no effort. We stay at Savegre lodge and just love the guides there. There is a private finca that you can visit nearby that has planted trees with fruits that the quetzals love, you can see them as soon as you step out of your car when the fruits are in season. Savegre also has some great trails. The walk to the waterfall is very nice too.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Susie2 who is your driver/naturalist? We are avid birders also.