Reload this Page >

Good lodging in Oaxaca City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Beethoven

Will you please share your recommendations for a place to stay in Oaxaca City. We are a family of 3--Here are our hopes for lodging:

-Quiet at night

-Reasonably prices

-Friendly and knowledgeable owner/staff

-Within reasonable distance from center

-We probably don't want to stay at a place where all 3 meals are inclusive in the set price

-What are the pluses and minuses of a hotel type vs a home accomodation?

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few years ago, we were in Oaxaca and stayed at casa cid de leon which is right in the center. It is a beautiful b&b (much nicer than the camino real) and the owner and staff are delightful! We have referred others to casa cid and all have raved! The website says that prices start at $180, but you can negotiate, esp if you are staying for a week or more. Each suite has a sofa bed to accomodate a third person. this property is a member of boutique hotel of mexico.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Los Golondrinas is wonderful, small, intimate, reasonably priced, and friendly, with a beautiful flowered courtyard where people eat breakfast and socialize. It's quite close to the Zocalo, just ask for a room off the street for full quiet at night.

Liz
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Las Golondrinas is an excellent suggestion. Very lived in with mature plants and flowers. Across the street is a more upscale hotel called "hostal del Sotano, which is fairly new , but the rooms, view and amenities make it an interesting choice. There is also a Holiday Inn express in a quiet neighborhood, about a 1o min. walk from the zocalo. The Hol. Inn has a pool and cont. breakfast included, which the other do not have. There are also several BB's around town that are also very comfortable.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Try the Casa de los Sabores B&B. www.mexonline.com/sabores.htm. Charming B&B with 5 rooms. We stayed in the Jazmin upstairs; it has private roof top patio and more windows than the other 4 rooms around the central courtyard. It's a converted house with living room. It's within 5 blocks of either the Zocolo or the Santo Domingo area. Two course (or more) gourmet breakfast; Pilar the owner has been written up in Bon Apetit and New York Times; she also does cooking classes. We felt that the Sabores as a traditional Mexico B&B and would returned. The Jazmin was $60 US/night including breakfast and the 17% tax. Other rooms were $65 US. Staff was knowledgeable, friendly and very accomodating. Same family also owns the La Olla, wonderful restaurant. Pls let me know if you would like more info. We just returned this weekend.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Beethoven

We have reservations for mid August at Las Golondrinas.
Can you share some noteworthy experiences of your time in Oaxaca City?
How did you do with the food?
How did you travel there?
We fly into Mexico City, spend a day and a half there, and will then take a bus to Oaxaca.

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Owned by the same family that the Casa de Sabores, Las Buganvillas is an excellent b&B.
Recently remodeled, their b reakfast are a symphony in color and delicious local dishes with a lighter touch. I highly recommend it. Location is top.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Mount Alban is a must. If you have time, Mitla is also very interesting. We hired a private driver and guide; about 500 pesos for the day. I will look up the name of the driver tonight and post again.

Santo Domingo is a must. Like Italian cathedrals; very ornate. The area around Domingo has galleries, etc. Museum next to Domingo is interesting, if you have time.

The Zocolo is a must for people watching. Oaxaca Cathedral is also a must (near the Zocolo). Allow time to sit at one of the restaurants along the Zocolo and just let the afternoon drift by.

The markets are a must. There's a different market for each day; ask at your hotel.

Many restaurants post on their menu that they use perified water. La Olla, La Nanranja, many others. Bottled water is everywhere; Casa los de Sabores where we stayed provided perified water. We ate tamales from street vendors with no problems; but that's not for everybody. Fodors has some great recommendations, but also just stop in some that you see along the way.

We flew thru Mexico City (which is referred to as just 'Mexico') and then flew to Oaxaca. Used Mexicana.

Again, I agree with Graziella5b, the Casa de los Sabores is tops!! Walking distance of the Zocolo and Santo Domingo. Or taxi's are about $3 US to almost anywhere in the city; define price before you get in the taxi.

Happy travels.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Just returned from Oaxaca yesterday. Have done homestays and stayed at hotels over the years. If you want to speak Spanish homestays are great. I like them because you save money and get to know local folks. The downside is you have less privacy- it depends what you are looking for. Las Golandrinas continues to be well reviewed if you are looking for a hotel-although there are so many nowadays it would be hard to choose. First time activities- see the churches in the centro area, Museum at Santo Domingo, Monte Alban, Mitla, Sunday market at Tlacolua, and maybe Teotitlan de Valle for weaving. It depends how much time you have. If you have a lot of time you might want to add a trip to the beach or really explore the Oaxaca valley and visit towns like San Jose Mogote. As far as food I think it is great. It is really different however. Nowadays I eat just about anywhere. I was sick in Oaxaca one time about six years ago, I think it was probably from some tap water on the dishes, so make you sure things are dry, your hands are clean, and use purfied water which, as mentioned, is everywhere. Your transportation plan is fine. If you are not familiar with the Mexican system it can be a little overwhelming, but it works well. Two weeks ago we bused from Oaxaca to Puebla for the weekend and it was great. For buses I would recommend ADO Primera clase (nice), ADO GL (nicer), or ADO's top end service UNO. Have a great time.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM

As promised, the guide that we used was Eduardo Diaz, telephone: 51-5-54-00. He spoke excellent English. His son Amond spoke even better English; less accent. Both were very knowledgeable at Mount Alban and at Mitla; not only information about the ruins and the people who lived there, but also about the plants, trees, wildlife, and general history about Oaxaca, customs, traditions, etc. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM

I just now noticed your post -- if you have not yet booked, I have wonderful suggestions for you.
Place to stay: Paradr Del Dominico/
Pino Suarez No. 410, Centro Oaxaca, Tel: (01951) 51-318-12
email: [email protected]
Much better than the Camino Real... for guide/cannout more highly recommend: Florencio L. Morena / email: [email protected]/
tel:011 52-) (9) 51 524 67 - he's brilliant! Generous/fun and the very best!