Search

gold wedding band

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gold wedding band

I was told not to wear jewellry while in Peru. I've always worn my wedding band - a gold band, no diamond. Do you think it would be wise to leave it at home?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM

For what it is worth, my wife and I just returned from a very nice holiday in South Africa and Zambia. Although we were staying at 5* accomodations all the way through, we made a decision NOT to bring any jewelry.

I put away the regular watches, took off my wedding ring and strapped on my plastic Timex Ironman watch, worth all of about $50 USD and wore it all the way through. Just the peace of mind made it worthwhile.

If it is already a concern, it will probably remain a concern all the way through your trip. Just put it away in a safe place and it will be there waiting for you when you return. The peace of mind on your trip, alone, will make it worthwhile.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:59 AM

I went to Peru (Lima and Cuzco) for two weeks in December. I stayed with friends who live in Lima. They wouldn't let me carry a purse or anything. I had to put everything in my front pocket. No watch, no earings, no nothing. This is from people who live there. That said, I never felt unsafe at anytime, not even in Central Lima or going out at night. But I also preferred not having to worry about keeping an eye on my stuff. I'd leave all jewelry at home on pretty much any trip I took.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

My ring isn't fancy, just a plain gold band, no diamond or anything. Won't come off without lots of soap!! Till recently I hadn't thought about not wearing it. I just don't want to be target for thieves.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM

Jaclyn, sounds like a good excuse to not wear your wedding ring on this trip, good one and good lucky.