Search

Gift Ideas from Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gift Ideas from Cancun

Can anyone suggest unique or great gift ideas to bring back home from Cancun? Thank you!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM

1. Mexican Vanilla
2. Hammocks
3. Silver
4. Mayan Art
5. Woven Wool Blanket
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:33 AM

Silver, pottery, tequila, beaded bracelets, folkart. DOn't forget to haggle!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexican blankets, baskets, silver, tequila.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses and the advice on haggling. I never want to offend anyone by doing this. Any idea on how much less than asking price I can offer?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

It depends the situation. In shops often the prices are set, it is not appropriate to barter. For beach vendors or at stalls it could be 1/2 or even 1/3 the original price.

My suggestion is to look at similar items in stores ahead of time so you have an idea what prices should be.

Personally I hate to barter and do not it only the minimal as needed. I usually find one vendor I like & use him/her for all my purchases. I am happy to support the hard working local people and local economy in any reasonable way I can. These people many often be supporting a large family from their daily earnings.

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

and do it only...
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:22 PM

I also hate the haggling custom but respect the cultures that do business that way.

In the main shopping malls in the hotel zone are there stores that sell things like bottles of vanilla or tequila for a fixed but reasonable price? How about something in silver like a pair of earrings or bracelet? We don't have the interest or time to shop around.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM

I bought a fabulous hand made short bathing suit wrap in one of the downtown markets on my honeymoon back in 1997. It was very well made and is always packed for my vacations! My next suggextions isn't unique, but if you like Kahlua it is much cheaper in Cancun than in the US. It also comes in a cool bottle there. It helps if you can speak Spanish. It seemed that the vendors responded better when we spoke Spanish to them.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 03:57 AM

The best gift ever is caricature from photo! It's always nice and original I guess. I like such gifts, it will be forever on your wall. So, if you need here's the website where I ordered: https://www.photolamus.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 08:09 AM

How does someone who states they've never been to the Yucatan describe souvenirs from there? Hmmm....
----
Kalua can also be purchased pretty cheaply in Duty Free as you go to board your flight. Prices are as good or better IMO than in the hotel zone or pueblo. For gifts, tiny decorative bottles of tequila are one choice. Vanilla too is available in Duty Free at IMO a reasonable price. Duty Free is probably the most efficient if you don't want to spend time shopping instead of relaxing on the beach or sight-seeing during the vacation.

Hammocks are usually priced according to quality (material and number of fibers in the weave) and size. Remember the actual weaver is probably in some tiny village in the middle of nowhere, getting a small percentage of the asking price, and the rest is the middle-man-seller's (or more than one if the one who bought from the craftsperson resells to a shop) profit. A good quality double size (couple's or casal) hammock direct from the craftsperson at home might be about 400 pesos (without haggling). It could be double that or more in a shop or from another middle-man, with everyone taking a cut.

If you go to Chichen Itza, there are a number of craftsmen with Mayan wood and stone (or fake-stone plaster)sculptures and masks. With them, you can gently try to haggle a bit, and in my experience, they may come down in price, particularly if the sculpture is their own work (you can often see them working on a piece while they wait, carving into a piece of a tree for instance) and they want the sale, rather than someone else's (the lesser quality masks, some fake-stone sculptures). There are lots of cheaper souvenirs there too if you have a crowd to buy for, change purses, magnets, and the like. The quality of the ceramics there is not so good as elsewhere (a couple of good shops in Valladolid for example), but they are colorful. Lots of T-shirts with Mayan designs at a pretty standard price.

Have a great vacation!
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM

I didn't see anyone mention handmade Mayan clothing.

There's many beautiful shirt and dresses for women and children.
http://huitzilli.myshopify.com/produ...ahuipilyucatan

For men;
Hats or a classic guayabera shirt - you can find high quality handmade shirts or less costly ones that will do in a pinch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Guayabe...-/291836508893