Gand Palladium or Occidental Xcaret

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which would you choose for two divers and a 2 year old that have never been to the Mayan Riviera? Any input on babysitting services at ethier? Otherwise, want least crowd, best beach, best food and overall atmosphere. Probably will want to visit Xcaret Park and Tulum Ruins so....
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:39 AM

I'd stay away from the Occidental Xcaret --- they had an incident a couple years ago that reflected EXTREME incompetence and gross mismanagement on the part of the hotel.

(Some folks here may recall the incident with the kid from Chicago, Brent Midlock, being sucked into a pool drain, and then the hotel management covered up the incident, held a party on top of the site where they knew the kid's body was trapped, lied to the frantic parents, then removed the body in secrecy in the middle of the night. The hotel management has recently been under investigation for criminal negligence in this case, but of course, being Mexico, and Occidental having money, a blind eye will ultimately be turned.)

I know, I know, some folks don't like talking about it...but hey, you asked, and in my opinion, Occidental Xcaret ranks up there with terrorists and child molesters among folks I'd trust.

Have fun!
Mark
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:40 AM

We're going to Playacar to the Riu Palace in July, because it is close to Playa del Carmen and has several other resorts in around it. Husband is a diver and he's using Tank Ha out of Playa. Akumal is supposed to have the best diving in the Mayan Riviera area. He's also going to dive with Akumal Dive Shop or Akumal Dive Center. You may want to look at Akumal Bay Resort or Bahia Principe Akumal. I've been considering switching to the Palladium because of all the great reviews it receives. Would definitely take that over Occidental.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM

One more thing-Have you been on LocoGringo.com? They have a wonderful site for the Mayan Riviera.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM

been to the Palladium:
lovely resort, great beach, good food
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all. Great info. Yes, I've been to locogringo.com and the more time I spend there the more I learn. The aerial shots up the coast are invaluable. Sounds like the Palladium is the best value for class, fun, et al. If anybody has any recent trip reports from there please post.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I can't speak for the Grand Palladium, but we visited the Occidental Grand Xcaret in February and it was very disappointing. It's beautiful, but it was a fight every day to get a poolside chair, not to mention a beach towel. I actually had another guest yell at me for leaving my stuff on a chaise so I could go to lunch: I'd waited THREE hours to get a seat in the shade where I could watch my daughter swim (there are no lifeguards)! They simply do not have enough facitilites for the number of people they take in during peak times -- this goes for anything "free," like tennis, shuffleboard, a treadmill at the gym. There's a very long wait to get "guest services" to make a reservation for you at one of the "special" restuarants (which, other than the Italian restaurant, weren't even as good as the buffets!). I had three managers promise to get back to me regarding my complaints, but no one ever did. When I finally got an email back (after writing upon my return), I was told that none of their surveys showed any similar complaints, despite the fact that I heard grumbling at the pool all day. Nothing wrong with this resort if you get in dirt cheap and don't expect to relax. But I paid a pretty penny and didn't get my money's worth.