Search

Riviera Maya Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya Trip

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Riviera Maya over Thanksgiving and are looking for a place that has snorkeling off shore, he is a diver but I just snorkel. We want a place with allot of things to do, we love to explore and music and night life.
We were told that an AI is the way to go in this area that it might not be safe to venture off the beaten path??

Looking for any advice we can get, we are in our late 40's and would prefer an adults only place.

We have never been to Mexico before.

Sincerly
BD
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Please do not be afraid to venture off the beaten path.. I never understand where these rumors come from. The AI experience is good for people who want that type of experience and I've even gone that way several times...but there are many other types of experiences there also from small boutique hotels to condos and private homes. The food at the AI's can be a bit repetitive and the food in town (PDC) is wonderful - especially off the beaten path. Do lots of research on sites like www.locogringo.com and www.playa.info.com. We're in our late 40's also, going back in two weeks and can't wait. We purchased a condo that is under construction in October so we'll be checking on that. If you prefer AI's without children there is Aventura Spa Palace, Secrets and RIU Mexico had few children the last time I was there. The RM is a large area with many resorts here and there along the coast. It's best to do the research to see where you want to be e.g. in town, close to town, don't care about town Lots to see and do!
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I agree with everything the previous poster has said, although we have never stayed at an all-inclusive. My husband and I (both 43) much prefer to experience more of the local atmosphere, especially the local restaurants! Playa del Carmen definitely has the nightlife you desire. We are not nightlife people, however and prefer AKumal for its snorkeling from shore. There are two bays to choose from - Half Moon Bay and Akumal BAy. Both have terrific snorkeling right off of the beach - this is a nesting ground for turtles and we have seen them on every trip!

You certainly can visit Akumal for a day trip and just snorkel and eat on the beach for the day, then return to PDC for the nightlife. Or, you can do what we prefer - stay in Akumal, and drive into PDC (about 25 minutes) for the occasional disco evening.

There is lots of info on the 2 websites listed above - locogringo is our personal favorite because of the message board where you can ask specific questions about the area. Have a great trip - you will love this piece of paradise!
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM

playa.info also has a large forum to post messages and the tabs at the top of the page have trip planning and other useful info.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM

I have to chime in here and repeat what the others have said -- the Mayan Riviera is safe and please DO get off the beaten path! There's a lot to see and do --
If you have to go all inclusive, the Secrets Capri resort is adults only, though there's not much nightlife, as is the Royal Hideaway in Playacar.
Le Blanc in Cancun would have more nightlife if thats what you want, and gets great reviews.
Mexico is wonderful, and if you want some non all inclusive recommendations, which I prefer, ask away !!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Frankie and others - I am trying to plan a honeymoon trip for June '07 to the Mayan Riviera, preferably Tulum over Cancun. Do you have any recommendations for non all-inclusive places to stay? I have seen many options on the internet: small and large resorts, and secluded rustic beach huts. I think I would like to stay at a place with amenities such as electricity, tv, pool, etc. Also, have you had any experience in that area during rainy season? I don't want to be confined indoors too much! Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I'm hoping pepper will see this, I think she has some Tulum experience. I've never stayed in Tulum, just visited the ruins there...it seems to me most of the places in Tulum are fairly rustic, other than the one big All Inclusive...
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM

ooops posted too soon! June is a dicey month for rain. Watching this area over the past few years, it does seem to get a lot of rain then.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Okay, so I'm going to not confine myself to staying in just Tulum. Any recommendations for non-AI places in the Mayan Riveria in general? =)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Take a look at playa.info at their trip planning tab at the top for a lot of information on different non-AI hotels in PDC. We've also stayed in Tankah at the Tankah Inn which was a small place with 5 rooms on the beach but the beach is not the best but the snorkeling is great. Blue Sky Hotel is also on Tankah Bay.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM

it all depends on your budget. If money's no object I'd check out Escensia, Maroma and Ikal del Mar, Paraiso de la Bonita. Maroma would be my first choice for its beautiful beach. Oh and the new Fairmont Mayakoba looks amazing.
For a little less, but still really nice, the most luxurious place right in Playa looks to me to be the Royal Palms condos -- not on the beach but one block and with ocean view.
If you have a budget, Playa Maya is right on the beach and has a/c, tv, etc. Playa-Maya.com It's very popular.
Like Colokid said playa.info has all kinds of boutique hotel choices that are not expensive.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Thanks you guys - and if anyone else has suggestions/experiences and wants to post, I will keep checking and I appreciate it!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Ummei -

You probably would not like Tulum - they are off-the-grid...so no tv, elec, etc. Only a couple of places have pools and they are very small. The lack of these "amenities" adds to the experience, IMO.

You haven't mentioned price, but for a honeymoon, you have gotten good advice...Ikal del Mar, Esencia, Maroma.

Is it important to have a sandy beach or are rocks ok?
Do you need a/c?
Do you want to stay directly on the beach?
Or a block or two away?

Frankie - thanks for thinking of me....air kiss...

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Everything frankie said...especially if money is no object. The rain thing can be iffy but we always go in June and I've only had one time (about 8 years ago) that the rain really impacted our vacation. Last year it rained torrentially for part of an afternoon but that was it. Usually, my plan is to go inland on days when it is cloudy to see the ruins.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:35 AM

That's a toughie.... I suppose soft sandy beaches are what I'm picturing. My fiance is a geologist and used to roughing it outdoors but I think I was hoping for a little more. We definitely don't want to spend a ton on pampering and luxury. If you have faves that are like a middle of the road I would love to hear. Thanx again!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Oops didn't answer some of pepper's questions - on the beach would be ideal, a/c not totally necessary, tv would be nice for lounging in room after baking in the sun...
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Immediately...I can think of a suite at Ana y Jose in Tulum - Deseo is the best one. Or Al Cielo in Xpu-Ha (which has some snorkling off-shore). Both are on great sandy beaches and have 24 hr elec with fans only, but they are ample. No TV, though.

http://www.locogringo.com/xpuha/alci...0Cielo%20Hotel

http://www.locogringo.com/tulum/anay...na%20y%20Joses

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM

adifferentworld.com

lists interesting-looking boutique hotels.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM

it's differentworld.com
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM

air kiss right back at ya, pepper !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -