Gamboa Rainforest Resort alternative

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be in Panama in December. We arrive on the 29th, and wanted to spend one night in Gamboa before heading down to my sister's house in Coronado.

Gamboa Rainforest Resort seems to be the main (only??) option, but I'm struggling to find something a bit more quiet/peaceful/actually in the jungle. We want to be surrounded by nature, not 200 other rooms of people on pre-packaged holidays. We like the look and idea of something more like the Canopy Tower, but that has a two-night minimum AND is crazy expensive ($250 USD per PERSON, not per room). We're looking to spend max $300 USD for a room.

I've searched all the usual websites (booking.com, Airbnb, hotels.com, etc.) and even just zoomed in to see what popped up on Google maps, but to no avail. Does anyone happen to know of any cute little B&Bs or anything?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 12:42 PM
RAC

You'd probably have to look at places listed as in the Panama City area, in the outlying areas maybe something like Coconut Lodge or Monkey Lodge.
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Several years ago, I was trying to do something similar and read about Ivan's Bed and Breakfast (very near Pipeline Road)
http://www.gamboaecotours.com. Didn't end up staying there because he had no space, but seemed like a good alternative to Rainforest Resort and Canopy Tower. Small, friendly, casual, and inexpensive (assuming he's still in business. We've stayed in both of those as well. Rainforest Resort is basically as you said, big and blah. Nice setting. But had feeling it could be so much better than it is. Have you contacted Canopy Tower?
Despite their 2 minimum, we were able to stay just one night -
think they happened to have that opening or some such.