Galapagos if you don't like boats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
leavingsoon

Hi

I want to apologize for the general ignorance on display for this question, but, I'm a serious landlubber. The last time I was on a ferry I vowed it would be my last open water journey.

Is there any way to fly to Galapagos and then take a boat around instead of a cruise from the mainland?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question.

Also, would August be a good time-weatherwise to go?

Thanks and sorry to ask if this is dumb.

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a very good question and the answer would not be obvious if you had never been to the Galapagos.

I'm not aware of any Galapagos cruise that departs from the mainland. You fly from Quito or Guayaquil to one of the two main islands, Santa Cruz or San Cristobal, and catch your cruise from there.

If you plan to be truly land-based, I'd choose Santa Cruz. There's more to see and do on that island.

It is an option to fly from island to island. A local airline called Emetebe offers flights between San Cristobal, Santa Cruz and Isabela islands. The planes are small. If you don't like tiny planes, you probably won't like that option, but the distances are very short.

Be aware that if you want to be based on one island and do a day trip to another, that those boats tend to be smaller than the cruise boats and give you an even rougher journey across the water.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Jed

I don't know about every trip to Galapagos, but I believe that the greatest majority of tours fly from Quito or Guyaquil to Baltra Island, where you get on a boat and go around the islands for 3 or 4 nights.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
leavingsoon

Yay!

Thank you so much for clearing that up! Now I feel even dumber! (But entirely relieved).

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
leavingsoon

And I actually like tiny planes , so that sounds like exactly what I plan to do. What a great relief!

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Jed

FYI - You should make all arrangements before going.

"...exactly what I plan to do." Explain.

The planes that fly to Galapagos are regular jets.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Jeff gave you good advice .

Take is advice to you

Percy
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Thank you, Percy.

Lest there's any confusion, as Jed says, you're on a jet from the mainland to the islands. TAME and AeroGal, two of Ecuador's three domestic airlines, fly to Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. If you board in Quito, you first fly to Guayaquil (35 minutes), where the plane is on the ground for about a half-hour and picks up more passengers. Then it's about 90 minutes to either island. Same process in reverse to return: flights first stop in Guayaquil and then continue on to Quito.

The small planes of Emetebe are for traveling from island to island. Website:

www.emetebe.com

The website gives a toll-free number in the U.S. too. It shows a picture of the type of plane you'd be on.

If you choose Santa Cruz, its airport is on the adjoining island of Baltra, separated from the main island by a five-minute ferry ride across a very calm channel. It's almost like crossing a river. You can handle that, can't you?

If you decide on the cruise option, a tour representative meets you at either island airport and takes you to the docks to board your boat.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Percy, I still have your info on the Isabell. Hope to make it there before too long. Thank you.

Jeff, as always your information is so helpful. It is nice to know that there are options. I find myself getting more and more seasick on boats these days.

leavingsoon...never worry about a question being stupid or dumb on these forums if it is important to you. Better to be sure about something in your own mind than to have a whole vacation ruined because you were afraid to ask.

Have a wonderful trip
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Hi Suzie2

All I can say is that the Isabella was a terrific yacht for 40 people.

There were only 36 on board as some came as singles.

Jeff:

When I was leaving the Galapagos the plane that was suppose to pick us up was flying from Guayaquil to Santa Cruz ,had some engine trouble and the plane had to turn back !!!( gulp).

Guess if you have to get stuck waiting for a plane the Galapagos is as good a place as any.!

Another plane came straight from Quito about two hours later and we flew back directly to Quito...but that was an exception and not the rule.

I too enjoy all your comments Jeff.
( Just got back from Vienna Austria last week.)
Percy
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Back atcha, Suzie and Percy. (Percy, are you posting on Europe board about Vienna?)

In four trips to the Galapagos, I've never been on an on-time flight to or from the mainland. Another piece of advice is to give yourself a buffer of a day for international-to-domestic and domestic-to-international connections. Just in case.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Hi Jeff:

I may post on the European Board( if time allows)about Austria but I was in Romania and Moldova and Ukriane also.

I am leaving on August 4th for a month to France , Switzerland and Germany.

Take care Jeff and Suzie .
Percy

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
leavingsoon

Thanks to all of you!

I really appreciate this advice.

Happy Travels to you all, too!