Galapagos by land or by sea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two itineraries from two different agents and both are about the same price for a 7 day trip to the Galapagos Islands. The first trip is staying on a yacht and the other is staying in a hotel on Santa Cruz island and taking excursions to the other islands each day. Which do you think is best??
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:31 AM

IMHO if you stay in Santa Cruz you will waste a lot of time traveling to the other islands. It is better to be on a ship like I did that travels at night to farther islands.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:27 AM

I agree with Susie, going on a cruise will get you out to some islands that are impossible to reach from Santa Cruz (like Genovesa or Espanola, for example). You will see more variety of wildlife and spend less time getting around with a cruise.

Having said that, I think there are some advantages to having a portion of the trip be land-based. We are going to the Galapagos in November and doing 1 week on a cruise, then staying in Puerto Villamil for four days for land-based activities.

Chris
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM

<b>By sea.</b>

I'd only do by land if overwhelming seasickness was a problem and Bonine or other meds did not help or if I was going with small children.

Some trips have you stay a night or more on land to enjoy a particular island in more depth, but spend the rest of the time at sea. That's fine.

Inca Tours does land and sea with some of the most time on land.

Natural Habitat and Galapagos Travel spends a night or two on land looking for turtles in the highlands of Santa Cruz. I've done that and thought it was great.

I would only choose land if for some reason a boat was not an option for me. It would not be my first choice.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM

On our trip, we did 2 nights on Santa Cruz and 4 nights on a cruise--- I found the cruise experience to be more special, so my vote would be for cruise.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I second the motion for the Cruise

Percy