Flooding in Cozumel

Jun 16th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Dia
Original Poster

Flooding in Cozumel

Does anyone know how we can find out about the state of emergency in Cozumel? I understand they have been hit with heavy flooding and some guests had to be flown out of Cancun, due to the Cozumel airport closing. We fly down on Friday 6-18....
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM
TC

Dia; I've posted an email to my friend who manages a resort in Cozumel. I'll let you know when I get an answer.
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM
TC

Reply from my friend in Cozumel:
June 2004 Flood

"we did have a bit of flooding, in many of our homes, the streets and Cozumel in general... The Coral Princess did not have any problems do to our maintenance staff working around the clock... As for the island... The military has been out in full force, and doing an awesome job... Water levels came down very fast, clean up is happening very fast... Those guys are working around the clock, and doing a very good and efficient job."

Rain stopped on Sunday afternoon.
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Wow...this is the first I've heard of this! I'm getting worried about my upcoming trip to PDC and Coz (6/27). Have there been any nice days in the middle of all of this rain?
Jun 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM

This was a very rare amount of rainfall.
My friends in Cozumel had problems for one day only--no sustained damage. The airport was closed only briefly.
They tell me the rain lasted for the most part of 2 days--and , of course, has long since ended. Should not be any problem to future vacations. (Cancun had similar problems as they always do , due to poor drainage)
Jun 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM
TC

Here is another report from my friend in Cozumel: "Things looked scary for a while, but I have to admit that the local government and military are working there tails off... Right now they are draining all waters in abandoned properties and I would even say that this island looks cleaner now because of the major clean up that has been going on... The Melia and the Cozumel Country Club apparently had a bit more problem with flooding that should take the next week or so to clean up, but they are working hard, fast and very efficient... It's mindboggleing, I am very pleasantly surprised... The Coral Princess Club is just fine, just a few nervous guests and employees for that matter because of the electric storm that took place... Many employees like myself had flooding in there homes, but we are getting it cleaned up and little by little getting back to normal... The local authorities are even going home to home looking for stagnant water in yards and putting chlorine tablets for the skeeters, they have started fumigating the island for bugs, and I have to admit there are none to speak of at this moment... This is something that I was very worried about... Anyway, as you see we are all doing well, and Cozumel is about 98% back to normal... Maybe even cleaner and less bugs then before the storm... Thanks for asking and we'll talk to you later..."