Search

fishing on Glover's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM
Lee
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fishing on Glover's

Since Glover's Atoll is a marine sanctuary, is fishing only catch and release? I have read posts elsewhere that the locals harvest whatever and whenever without regard for the rules.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM

The marine reserve encompasses the islands (SW area of the atoll) and fishing in that area is only catch and release. My husband and one son flyfished their brains out for bonefish when we were there in 2003, but they usually only fish catch and release in home waters as well (Oregon). The locals are allowed (as per the rules) to fish and keep what they want but there are almost no locals there - just the few folks that own/operate the resorts and possibly a few others. On NE Caye where Glover's Atoll "Resort" is, for example, the "locals" consisted of Grandma Marsha Jo, her daughter and son-in-law (Becky and Breeze) and their 3 kids. Happy trails!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention that the marine reserve ended about a mile north of NE Caye and it was possible to walk up the spine of the reef on the dead coral (above the low tide line) to fishing areas; we especially enjoyed the lobster.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM

Interesting to know about "Glover's atoll". I thought for a minute that the atoll belonged to one of our frequent (but not lately) posters--screen name Glover! I was thinking WOW! Glover has an atoll? She never mentioned it!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM

Here's the link to the place we stayed:

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

It's an unearthly beautiful place with world-class (I really mean that) diving and snorkeling from shore. It's very rustic (no elec or running water) but heaven to us. There are several rustic but more amenity-rich lodging options on nearby islands. The atoll is about 40 miles off the southern coast of Belize. Happy trails...