Fishing at Samara, Costa Rica

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing at Samara, Costa Rica

I've seen from past post Tamarindo and Queops are good spots for sportsfishing. We're thinking of staying at Playa Samara/Playa Nosara/Playa Carillo areas to get away from the crowds (hopefully)! Does anyone know if there is good fishing in this area? Are there even charters available? What's the cost? We'd have four people. Anyone gone out in smaller boats with local fishermen?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Anyone again?
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM

In Playa Carillo a friend from here's (Virginia), brother operates a boat called the Kitty Cat, he has a website under that name. It's 800$ full day.

Samara as I understand is a flat beach, not many waves and protected.

We are going to Nosara on 12/9! The Rio Nosara feeds into the ocean there so you can fish the river for snook, the river mouth and surf cast.

I have precious few replies on the net as to baits, line weight, etc. I would be happy to forward what I have received if that's where you decide to go.

I picked Nosara because it s undeveloped and had a variety of outdoor choices, like river and ocean kayaking, surfing for hubby, jungle and animals, and some tame beah for me to swim and float about in.

I did the Quepos fishing thing in 98 or 99. Paid 600$ and trolled all day till we hooked one sail in the afternoon that as dropped before a photo. Quepos was no place to stay. We were in Manuel Antonio at El Parador, which is very not recommended!

Don't know about Tamarindo except what I have read.

I will post a report on Nosara when we return. We are staying at the Gilded Iguana. It is not in all the guide books but it has every creature comfort, the price is right and the owner seems really nice-very responsve to emails.

Have a great trip-Sharon
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Sharon. We won't have any equipment for fly fishing, but maybe we can hook up with a company that supplies it (no pun intended). Can't wait to hear your report.