First trip to CR. Looking for suggestions

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to CR. Looking for suggestions

Flying in to Liberia Feb 13 early am. Flying out Mar 06 early am. Have a hotel booked for Mar 05 near the airport.
We'll be 72 & 70 by the time we arrive. I've had both knees replaced but otherwise we're both in good shape. Mountain climbing is out of the question but good hikes are still something I can do & enjoy. We like to go to a place, hq there & take daytrips.
I'm unsure about whether to rent a car on arrival. We plan to head immediately for the beaches. But which beach? We want to kick back but take some tours from wherever we are staying. Should we take a shuttle/cab & rent a car when we leave to go to Arenal & Monteverde. We'll def need a car then. 4X4?
But how many nights for each - 4 & 3?, 3 & 4? You get what I mean, I'm sure.
After that, I was thinking of going to the Malpais area, relaxing again, with some tours, then driving back to Liberia Mar 05.
Has anyone have any suggestions that would enhance or change this vague plan? Other than the flight, we're open to suggestions

PS - for Western Canadians. WestJet has a non-stop redeye from Calgary to Liberia. Leaves @ 1115 pm & arrives 0700 am.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:16 AM

We love the Arenal area; we usually spend four nights when we go. Favorite things include hiking the Mistico Hanging Bridges, the waterfall hike - just basically lots of steps down and back up again, the Bogarin Trail to see wildlife - easy flat trails; it's owned by nine brothers; we saw five sloths when we went and also poison dart and red-eyed tree frogs, and caimans, you can also hike the trails at the Arenal Observatory Lodge - good place to stay if you don't mind the long bumpy road; it's set away from town out by the lake so has lots of wildlife on site, a waterfall, and a free guided hike each morning - we like the Smithsonian rooms. You have to pay to use the trails if you aren't a guest there. There are also nice natural hot springs you can enjoy - Tabacon if you like fancy or Eco Termales for smaller and charming. You could do a day trip to the Rio Celeste - about two hours away; it has a beautiful blue waterfall as long as it hasn't been raining. There's also white water rafting and ziplining if those interest you.

For Monteverde, I think three nights is about right there. Good for hiking in the Reserve, lots of birds - good place to try to spot quetzals. Selvatura is popular. Also like the night hike at Hidden Valley. Good ziplining in the area as well.

We like Manuel Antonio for beach time so can't help with ones near Liberia; we always fly in and out of SJO.

You can travel between Arenal and Monteverde using the Jeep Boat Jeep service through Desafio if you don't want to drive it. The Arenal area is spread out, so a lot of people like to have a car there.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, VG. I appreciate that info & start using it soon.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For in/out of Liberia, take a look at Nosara, Samara or Playa Conchal. I have not been, but they are in my wish list.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM

For my trip in Jan/Feb 2016 (and I want to go back) I had 4 nights in each for Arenal Volcano National Park and Manuel Antonio. My fave was Arenal. I stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. Like Volcanogirl says, it’s a bumpy 30 minute ride into or out of the lodge but it’s a small price to lay. I also stayed in one of the Smithsonian rooms, which are cottages perhaps 1/4 mole removed from the main lodge. I did mind blowing zip lining through Desafio adventure tours. I took several hikes around the lodge grounds and saw coati, sloths, toucans, lizards and yes, big ass spiders. I spent a morning at the Eco Termales hot springs. And the views of the volcano itself (with the occasional puffs of smoke) are jaw dropping. Manuel Antonio was more to relax by the pool with margaritas after the more active part of my vacation in Arenal. I did got to MA National Park for one day and saw capuchin monkeys and some lovely scenery. And I had a lifetime full of eating plantains in those 8 days.

Costa Rica was a wonderful surprise. I want to go back and do the Monteverde cloud forest and then another beach break further up the coast. Maybe hit Nicaragua as well.

One question. As I recall from your post you have almost one month there. It’s a small country. Are you content with some days just “lazing and living” wherever you are?
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 07:00 PM

Minn, there's a lot of upheaval going on in Nicaragua right now. Not so safe to travel there currently unfortunately.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Living & Lazing are our two middle names!!! The first week, we'll be doing mostly that at the beach with a few excursions. Then Arenal & Monteverde will probably be quite active (so to speak) then back to a different beach for more L&L w some excursions. Three weeks total.First week Playa Hermosa area, last week maybe down the Nicoya Peninsula but where there?
I think also that we'll be renting a car on after our first week & keep it for the rest of our time in CR.

Not headed for Nicaragua anytime soon - too much upheaval there