First time in South America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go to South America in July for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions about what to do and where to go? I would like to see a variety of landscapes, wineries, beaches and and possibly take a tour or two. I am very interested in finding where adventure, good food, and freindly atmosphere meets...

can anyone help? I have NEVER been to South America before so any little bit helps...
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
JBX

WOW ... only 2 weeks for an entire Continent? That's a tall order.

Let me suggest you begin by investigating which countries will pique your interest. Start researching with Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Brazil & Argentina. NO, I'm not saying to include all these countries in your adventure; rather it'll end up being only 1, possibly 2 countries that will comprise your trip.

I've only been to 2 of these countries -- Peru & Ecuador. And the other 3 are locations on my "to visit" list.

Run a search on this forum for a few trip reports (key in trip report & a country in search feature) and you can read what others have done/seen. Of course, others will suggest you go to a bookstore & flip thru a few guidebooks .... certainly the old-fashioned option.

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM

At this point, I would get a continent-wide guidebook (Fodor's has one) and formulate some ideas.

For two weeks, I'd keep it at two countries.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM

Aregentina might be a good choice for you, although in July it won't really be beach weather! But it has lovely diverse scenary, great wine, beaches, and Buenos Aires is a fabulous cosmopolitan city with great food. You could add in somewhere further north for warmth perhaps, a week in Brazil too maybe? Have fun planning!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM

www.gotmyfare.com

has some interesting packages

with air good values for me...
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM

Just come back from 5 months in South America (and it still wasn't emough time!). You will certainly find it a friendly place with an amazing variety of landscapes. Personally, I was not impressed with the wineries I visited is SA and so would give those a miss.

Even with 5 months we only visited Argentina, Peru and Chile. The highlights of our trip were many and varied but the main ones that spring to mind are:

1. A road trip around the NW of Argentina from Salta - THE most amazing scenery I have seen anywhere.
2. Treking through the Andes from Lares to Ollantaytambo in Peru.
3. Valparaiso - a great city in Chile with some amazing food.
4. Peninsula Valdez in Southern Argentina to see the Southern Right whales
5. Iguazu falls on the borders of Argentina and Brazil.

There are many, many others. Here is a link to the log of our trip which may provide some other ideas

www.travelpod.com/members/candcthai

With just two weeks you may be better off sticking to just one or two countries. Internal flights in SA can be very expensive for foreigners and it will almost certaily be better to book these either as part of a tour or independently on one of the airpass deals available outside of the continent before you go.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM

I would follow Crellston´s advice, NW of Argentina is wonderland, varied sceneries, great wines in Cafayate and the food! ... uhmmm makes me hungry...empandas, humitas, and the famous argentinian beef! Do not miss it...
Flintstones
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. I was leaning towards Argentina; renting a car and road tripping...the only thing that is keeping me away is the weather.

thanks a lot!