Finally my turn for itinerary help!

Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Finally my turn for itinerary help!

Ok...after months spent sifting though fodors and heeding all this wonderful advice, we are finally about to really book our trip to CR. YAAAH! So, we are going from 4/29-5/7 and will be hitting 3 places. I know the rule is one place for every three days, but I am fixated on finding a way to get the Peace Lodge in there...even if for just one night.

If anyone can take a look at this itinerary and let me know if I should just give up on this Peace Lodge thing, my boyfriend will probably log on and personally thank you!

Here is the proposed itinerary:
Costa Rica 4/29 5/7
4/29 - Arrive in San Jose 9:46AM
5/7 - Leave from LIBERIA 3PM

Drive to MA (renting car)

Stay there the night of April 29, April 30 and May 1. That would give us all day April 30 and May 1 plus 1/2 day May 2 in MA

Thinking of staying at Mariposa in Jr. Suite or Si Como in Superior Suite or Tulemar or Makanda by the Sea.

Drive on May 2 to Arenal and stay in Arenal May 3, May 4 and May 5 (giving
us May 4 and May 5 there)

Thinking of staying at Lost Iguana in the Suite or the Observatory lodge.We may just do tabacon resort to have night access to the springs.

Drive May 5 to Four Seasons and stay until flight May 7.

Ok, so does anyone see any space for the Peace Lodge? Would it help if we flew in and out of just SJ? Can we cut a night from Arenal and do 2 nights instead of 3? Is it nuts to go from Arenal to 1 night at the Peace Lodge to the FS in guanacaste?

I know I should be psyched I get to do the FS, but that Peace Lodge just looks heavenly. If not, I'll live of course! So, any opinions?

Thanks so much for taking the time for one neurotic New Yorker in need of THIS vacation! I'll be sure to come back after my trip and help in any way I can. THANKS AGAIN.

Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Iza

OK, here are my 2 cents: if you are absolutely fixated on Peace Lodge, you should go there. Otherwise you will regret it and think about it during the whole trip. I think if I were you, I would probably cut Arenal to two nights and stay the first night at Peace Lodge instead. So do something like this:
1 night Peace Lodge
3 nights MA
2 nights Arenal
2 nights Four Seasons

Even as I am typing this, I am thinking that it is really a busy itinerary with a lot of driving involved. Are you sure you are up to it? The drive from MA to Arenal will be probably over 6 hours and from Arenal to the Four Seasons about 4-5 hours.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM

Okay my two cents

First let me say that I agree with Iza's answer .
If you fly into Liberia , then I would skip the Peace Lodge and save it for another trip when you do the Central Valley area.

Now if you fly into San Jose , then I would skip the Four Season, because it is a loooong(!) way from the Four Seasons back to San Jose.

From your schedule the way you layed it out,you would drive to the Four Season on May 5th...stay there May 6th and then have to leave the next day May 7th...to get to the Liberia Airport.

Maybe someone else will have a still better idea.
Percy
Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:44 AM

Well, I have not been to Four Seasons but have been to Peace Lodge. I would fly in and out of SJO, skip FS and spend your last 2 nights at Peace Lodge!
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great advice.
I'm going to call Peace Lodge today and see if they even have open rooms. I hear it can get pretty booked. Thanks again. I'll be sure to post the highlights when I return. Have a great day.
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM

I just loved Peace Lodge, it was breat taking... I certainly suggest that you see it for yourself. The place is paradise!
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM

If one of your reasons for visiting Arenal is to have a chance to see the lava flow at night, then do not stay at the Observatory Lodge--it has no view of the current lava flow lines.

Of those you mentioned, Tabacon would have the best view.