Search

Feb'07-Is Oaxaca sold out?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
MPH

Feb'07-Is Oaxaca sold out?

We were just starting to plan a trip to Oaxaca city and the coast for Feb 2007. I checked reservations for about three Oaxaca hotels for Feb. 17th-20th and all the standard rooms were booked or the hotel was completely booked. We were planning on making plane and hotel reservations this summer. Is that late? It is President's week in the U. S. but that week didn't cooincide with any high season in Oaxaca. Does anyone know if this is a ceowded week in Oaxaca? In fact you can't even make plane reservations for next Feb. President's week yet.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had a problem finding accomodation anytime once I got there. Just curious about what you said and I looked for rooms those dates on Orbitz and they were all booked except the holiday inn. If you want lower end accomodation just go. If you want the higher end I would check the web sites for the Camnio Real, Hotel Victoria, Hotel Mission de Los Angeles, or a little less fancy, Hotel Marques del Valle, Hotel Azucenas, La Casas de La Tia. There are lots of places to stay down there. You might want to use a travel agent if they are familiar with Mexico- this could be a help too. There are lots of hotels there that are nice enough but not tourist hotels you will find something.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Ash Wednesday is Feb 21? Try La Casa de los Sabores--great little B&B that also presents cooking classes (I still get cudos for the mole amarilla and rose petal ice cream I learned to make last year!).
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Tried Las Bugambilias ? Top spot!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Not sure what hotels you tried, or what kind of hotel you're interested in, but I really liked the Casa del Sotano. Beautiful place. Quiet. Great rooftop bar / breakfast area. About 6 short blocks to the zocalo. About $85 for a nice big room with bathroom.

I wonder why you are having trouble booking. I had thought that February was kinda low season for Oaxaca.

Don't give up - you will LOVE Oaxaca.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Did you check directly with the hotels? If you are using an online booking site to check, most likely they just don't have 2007 rates in their system yet. Check directly with the hotel, I'm sure they are available.

Highly recommend Las Bugambillas.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
MPH

Thank you all for your suggestions. We were actually hoping to wait until this summer to book and make sure we also had reasonable airfare. I will check with some of the hotels directly although I did use the Oaxaca Group website for one booking, Fodors for another and Hotels.com. At least one of the hotels was booked for the standard rooms but had expensive rooms or suites available. We are just looking for a clean, quiet hotel that is within walking distance of the major attractions. Thanks again.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
MPH

I checked the weeks before and after Presidents week for a few hotels and the websites said that they were booked those weeks also -so it looks like the online reservations system just isn't set up that far in advance yet. Thanks again for all the suggestions.