Excursions in Costa Rica

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursions in Costa Rica

We'll be in Costa Rica July 1-10 and have lots of ideas for excursions--the zip line at Monteverde, the trail ride to the waterfall, the night hike to the volcano (we'll be in Monteverde, Arenal, and Tamarindo). We heard it was fine to wait and book these through our hotels on arrival but I'm wondering if everything will be sold out when we get there. Any suggestions or experiences to share?
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM

We have never booked our excursions before going to CR and never had a problem. I'd wait until you get there. While it sounds good to preplan, I've found that once you're actually there, your time schedule can really change- the weather can be a big factor. Other ideas might come up that sound better, and you may just have more options once you're there. I think you'll be fine waiting.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM

We'll be there the same time (7/1 to 7/13) and were wondering about booking in advance as well. We've read similar advice to Shell's that weather can alter plans so we're going to wait to book excursions. I'm assuming since this is green season that things won't be selling out.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM

We usually wait until we're there, except for something like Eco Termales that does indeed sell out. Agree with Shell that you'd be fine to wait.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM

It's very unlikely (nearly unheard of unless it's Easter or Christmas week) that anything will be sold out. You might occasionally hit a group or something that fills a tour one day but if you're a little flexible you can always go the day after.

When our friends travel we always recommend that they book one or two things either in advance or soon after arriving just to have a little structure and less decisions to make while trying to relax. It's amazing how the days can slip away by poolside and discussing what's best to do when and you end up not fitting in something you really wanted to do.

Do a little research and planning ahead and do a little winging it.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you. We definitely feel better about waiting til we get there to book trips. And maybe we'll run into you, john 127. If not, hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM

We'll be in Arenal (AOL & Nayara) 7/2-7 (with our two boys, 6 and 8). Say hi if you run into us!

Also, I just heard from the place we're staying at in Manuel Antonio regarding booking tours and they advised that we wait to book, no problem with availability this time of year.

Have a great trip!