Electrical Applicances in Brazil

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Rio and Manaus next week. Do I need to take an electrical adapter for my hair dryer or is their electricity compatible with the U.S.?

Thanks.

Pooh
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM

When I want to use one of my appliances from the states I always bring my converter and adapter. I have noticed that some of the plugs in Rio are round instead of the flat plugs we have in the states. So to be safe if you have them, bring them.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Our travel agent (who is from Rio) told us that they use 110 there, but that some of the plugs would require the round European style adaptors. If anyone else knows any different, I'd love to know since we are going to both of those places in March. We are also going on the Amazon Clipper. Does anyone know if there is electricity in the cabins for recharging camera batteries?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM

I always bring a converter and ALL adapters. I used the "Australian" adapter for Chile and Argentina so you never know. Most sets come in a travel bag. It's worth it to bring the whole thing!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. We leave next Monday and I'm getting very anxious and so excited!

Pooh
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:38 PM

Hello Pooh - I just read your posts and realised that my husband, sister and myself will be in Rio and Manaus about the same time as you. I am stressing a little about what to pack for the Amazon portion of the trip. We are staying at Flotel Piranha and there is an 11 pound per person limit. I think that is what my toiletries will weigh! Are you taking long pants and sleaves? I can't imagine wearing them in 90 degree heat. What have you decided? We are staying at the Club Med outside of Rio - where did you decide to stay? Hope you have a great time!!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM

We are staying at the Club Med outside of Rio - where did you decide to stay? Hope you have a great time

I do not think this is the best place to stay, you will be tooooo far away from the action. Traffic in RIO is awful and sure you will waste a lot of time. There are beautiful hotels along Copacabana and Ipanema. Nothing better than to be staying in a hotel along COPA or Ipaneman and being able to go out and back to hotel.
Tell us about your experience when you come back.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Gailar,
We are also going to Manaus and Rio in March. I would like to hear about your experiences. We considered the Flotel, but the travel company told us that it did not move as described in the literature. I would be interested in hearing whether what we were told was true.
Thanks. Hope you have/had a good time.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM

Just got back from Rio and I charged my IPOD by just plugging it into the wall electric outlet, with no adapter, worked fine.