Search

Easter in Costa Rica!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter in Costa Rica!?!?!?

Hi everyone. I have done some research on this forum and some others, but would like to ask some questions for myself. My husband and I are looking to travel to Costa Rica in 2017 for the first time. We would like to do the following: zip-lining,rafting, stand-up paddle boarding, visit rainforest/cloud forest, see sloths and other animals/wildlife, and spend 1-2 days on a beach. I work in the schools in the US and have vacation either for 7 days in February or 10 days in April. The April break coincides with Easter/Holy Week in CR. I have read that it is extremely crowded during Easter (especially at the beaches and Manuel Antonio), so I am hesitant to book then. However, we would have more time during that break. Any advice on when to go, along with itineraries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM

Most people do a combo of the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio for their first trip; it's a great combo and has just about everything you're looking for. I would personally avoid Easter and go in February.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree. With a 7 day trip, pick 2 locations. MA and Arenal would be great a tick most of the boxes.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 05:23 AM

We spent the week leading up to Easter in Costa Rica this past spring (flew out the Saturday before Easter Sunday). We were in Dominical, which is typically not as busy/touristy as some areas in Costa Rica. We spent the day at Manuel Antonio on Wednesday and while it was quite busy, there were still plenty of spaces on the beach to sit and room for swimming. The beach down by Dominical on Good Friday was very full of mostly Tico families - they bring tents and string tarps in the trees and grills for cooking out. It was fun to see all of the kids having a blast in the waves. Our friends we traveled with said it still wasn't as crowded as the beaches in Jersey in the summer.

We've also spent time on the beach in Costa Rica with no one else around, and yes, we prefer that, but Easter time wasn't terrible for us. The most important thing about traveling around Easter is planning your days on the road (avoid Friday and Sunday), and booking everything early.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Another reason to opt for February: February is pleasantly warm and makes a nice break from the northern winter. (You don't say where you live.) April gets beastly hot and dry and dusty. I find that time of year to be unpleasant, but that's me.

If you do go at Easter, try to stay put Easter weekend. The traffic is pretty horrendous.