COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Easter Sunday in Costa Rica

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Easter Sunday in Costa Rica

We'll be arriving in Costa Rica on April 10th - right before Easter. We're staying at a resort near Tamarindo. What should be expect for Easter? Will stores & restaurants be closed? Any special activities?

I'm planning to make it a rest day at the resort, just swimming and hanging out, unless there's something special we should consider.

Deb
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM

April 10 is a Saturday, right? You can expect the beach areas to be very crowded with Ticos and other vacationers! You might plan to do just as you have said. . lay low, relax, until the weekend passes. .then it will calm down a bit. I don't know about closing. I expect the shops in Tamarindo will be open at least on Saturday. No special activities in the beach communities that I know of. . .certainly more in the Central Valley. Rest!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:05 PM

deb,
Here is what is posted on the US Air website regarding Costa Rica surrounding Easter time:

"The destination of Costa Rica is imposing some restrictions for Holy Week. Alcohol is not permited to be sold or consumed. This ban on alcohol starts the Thursday prior to Easter, and runs through Easter Sunday. A few hotels purchase special permits to serve alcohol, but generally it is not available. In addition, most restaurants, shops, and bars will be closed for the same time period. Restaurants in the hotels will be operating. The City Tour will not be operating. Other tour schedules may change during this holiday time. This information may seem somewhat vague, but hotels and businesses never know for sure exactly what services will be available until just prior to Easter."

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM

I think you will find that the private hotels will have no problem with liquor for their guests but the ones that have public bars could be a problem.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm not too worried about the alcohol. We can survive without it. I think I'm most concerned about picking up groceries on our way from the airport to the resort. I'm hoping stores will be open on Saturday.

Deb