Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Driving tips for rainy season? (Alajuela / Arenal / Manuel Antonio / Monteverde)

Search

Driving tips for rainy season? (Alajuela / Arenal / Manuel Antonio / Monteverde)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't relish the thought of driving in the pouring rain in Costa Rica, or in the fog, if it's avoidable. Our first family trip is in June. Any advice on best time of day for these drives:
Alajuela to Arenal
Arenal to Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio to La Finca Que Ama
La Finca Que Ama to Monteverde
Monteverde to Heredia

Anybody have any experience as far as time of day for these drives when it's least likely to be raining or foggy, and also when traffic is lighter?

I read somewhere it often rains in the afternoon in Costa Rica in the rainy season. I haven't seen anything more specific, such as whether it often rains in the early afternoon as opposed to the late afternoon, or if it's totally random.

Also, what about fog? I would prefer to avoid driving in the fog, if possible. (In San Diego, during "foggy" season, fog is more likely at certain times of day.)

Thanks for the benefit of your experience! We will have a Grand Vitara XL7 4 X 4.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM

Hi Melissa5

I have been reading a lot of your post, we are going to Costa Rica in July and will also be driving and going to Arenal and MA. We will have to skip Monteverde since we are traveling with two preschoolers and I understand the trip may be too hard with the little ones.

I know that it usually rains in the afternoons, but I am also curious to know the answer to your question. When do you return?? I want to know how the trip was. I have read so much of what you have written here and on Trip Advisory I feel like I know you.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM

Melissa, to some extent the afternoon rains are random. Can't be absolutely predicted, of course. I'd say you'll do best if you time your drives between 7:00 a.m. and 1:00 in the afternoon.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM

We leave June 2 for 12 days in CR. I'd be happy to give you insight when we return. You can email me and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.
We are going to Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Arenal, then PeaceLodge. Have a rental car. 2 adults.
EK
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac, thanks for the advice.

crarmy, sounds like your trip is similar to ours. Since we return the end of June, I'll try to start posting a trip report as early as I can in July.

EKellyga, I'd love to hear how your drives work out too! We leave for Costa Rica several days after you return.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks Melissa5 and ekellyga, looking forward on hearing all the details about your trip.