Search

Driving in argentina

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in argentina

What is driving like in argentina? My husband has driven all over the world: costa rica, europe, new zealand. We are very independent.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:39 PM

Driving in Buenos Aires is a word appart from driving in Argentina or for this matter anywhere else in the world. Most people are always in a rush, In a frenzy state of mind.They will curse often no matter what.
If you are approching a yellow light, I mean the last second of yellow and the first second of red better continue if not you will be hit by the guys behind you. I often have wonder looking at drivers in such a rush, Where are all these guys going to?
So be aware that respect for traffic laws is most of the time on the down side.
It is also the city were people park their cars by bumping into the car in front and the car behind. It seems they do not use the rear mirrow but instead wait for the bang of hiting the car behind.
Having said this they know how to drive in as much they are crafty drivers.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you don't want to drive in Bueno Aires, but it would be just fine to drive to other parts of argentina. When we went to Costa Rica we did not drive in San Juan but we drove to Arenal and Quepos. Is it about the same type of driving?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Drivers in Buenos Aires are lunatics. The stripes on the roads are widely ignored as cars straddle lanes...or ignore turning from an inside lane to the inside lane of another street and instead turn in front of two or three other lanes of cars to get where they want to go....I won't drive in BA, and I consider myself a "fearless" driver.....
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Drdawggy found the right word for me LUNATICS, that is a good world to describe the way people drive in Buenos Aires. Long I ago we drove all over Argentina, even went to Asuncion, Paraguay by car, to Santiago , Chile etc etc. But to-day I would check if it is safe to drive around this huge big country. THings have changed unfortunatelly.