Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Driving from Cancun to Merida and back...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me how the drive is from Cancun to Merida and back? Our flights were canceled by Mexicana Airlines so just thought I would consider renting a car and driving instead of flying with AeroMexico. Just an option before we book the airlines. This trip in in November. Any ideas, comments or warnings?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM

It's about a 4 hour trip on the toll road. Easy drive. Did it last winter.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM

How about taking the bus?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Colokid -- Could you provide posters with total paid in tolls and gas?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM

It is as the above poster stated, an easy drive. If you want to go to the pyramid, Chichen itza, it is an easy bus ride, spend the night and come back. So much easier than renting a car. Bus service in Mexico is pretty good.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Actually, I'll clarify. I did the drive on the bus. The bus ride was very easy since I didn't have to actually do the driving and it was quite comfortable. But, the toll road is easy to navigate...one road the whole way. Tolls were included in the bus price. I think they run around 20USD.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM

We have not driven from Cancun to Merida but have driven from Cancun to Chichen Itza, spending the night and returning the next day. It is true the drive was fairly easy. The only "problem" we encountered was that we needed gas. It was self-service. When my husband paid, the "attendant" wanted more money than was posted on the pump. It was an uncomfortable situation and he just paid up. Later we were told you are supposed to tip the attendant although he did nothing. Don't really know if this was true but in our case paying a little more to prevent a confrontation was worth it. Just so you know.

The next time I went to Chichen with other family members we hired a private driver through our hotel and were very pleased with this.

We have driven one other time in Mexico for only a short distance and were again uncomfortabel with gas station attendants. On the other hand, several years ago my in-laws went to Mexico frequently and drove a lot. They did not seem to encounter any issues.

Happy travels!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Simple drive. At times, you will be the only one on the road as the locals/mexicans take the secondary roads. Just make sure you fill the tank as there is no gas stations. You will have to pay 2 times, once outside of Cancun and again near Merida which is not cheap.

Make sure you have your passport and the car rental agreement handy as there is frequent road checks. Don't be surprise that someone is actually taking photo shots of you in the car as the police officer is checking your documents.

If I was only going to Merida, I would take the luxury bus, cheap and frequent. If you want to make stops in between and go further such as Campeche or off the beaten trail, rent a car. And watch out for the TOPES, (speed bumps).

Have a great trip
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Have made this trip too many times to remember.

Very easy drive from Cancun on either the toll road or the
old free road, the free road will take about an hour longer as there are many speed bumps (well over a 100 - yes 100 plus - along the way, but if you have the time you get to see so much more than the toll road.

Either way you go you will most likely go thru a military check point when you cross the state line about half way across - it is no big deal - they are not looking to hassle tourists - but are checking for weapons and drugs.
They never try to shake you down for money.

The policia on the other hand may stop you for a little
bribe, usually saying you were not wearing seat belts,
I speak spanish but the couple of times I have run into them
I just dummy up - english only - never give them your drivers
permit - make a copy before you leave and give them that -
just keep telling them (in english) that the orginal is back
in Cancun at your hotel in the safe.
If you do want to make it easy give them a few hundred pesos
maybe 20 dollars worth.
Chances are you won't be stopped be the police - out of many
years of trips I have been stopped one going from Cancun to Merida and back.

Car rental is very cheap in Cancun - don't rent at the airport
as they add on fees - you can book thru Easyway and they will
meet you at the airport or just take the Ado bus into Cancun and then pick up you car there.
Best rates are thru Alamo, Easyway, Budget.

I use Easyway if I am not heading into Cancun first for a few days - otherwise Alamo as they almost always have the lowest rates - right now for Nov. rentals about $13 US a day.

The bus is also a great way - it is quick, easy, and very cheap. Check their website: ado.com.mx.

Hope this helps - I have gained this knowledge after 30 plus
years of traveling in Mexico.

Have a great trip - KaribbeanKidd
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Oh yes - almost forgot - as to the toll road it is about $30 US each way - gas is available only one place so make sure you gas up before leaving Cancun.
And as to the gas ripoffs - which is very commom if they think you don't know whats going on - always get out and stand by the pump to make sure it starts at zero (and not where ever it finished on the last guy's filling) and just
get a set amount instead of a fill up, and have the exact amount ready - 200-250 pesos, something like that.

The gas ripoff works like this: Gringo say fill up -
they pump the gas - you pay - they turn away and then right
back around with a different amount of money in their hand saying you didn't give them the correct amount. Once that happens there is nothing that you can do as the police will always be on the gas guy's side should you get them (the police) involved. It only took me once to learn this trick,
and the guys that use it are Very Good at it.

Most gas guys (and sometimes girls) are very honest - but it only takes a few to give them all a bad name. So go with
the set amount and have that ready - I always get 200 pesos
and use a 200 peso bill - so there is no way to get ripped off. If you check the gas gague and want more just ask for another 100 pesos (and of course have a 100 peso bill ready)
You should tip your gas pumper a few pesos - it is expected -
and almost all mexican drivers tip when getting gas.
Never more than 4 or 5 pesos is needed -

Happy motoring - KK

It all souinds worse than it is - motoring in the Yucatan
is really no big deal as long as you know the few pitfalls.