Reload this Page >

drive from Manuel Antonio to Tamarindo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Sandra

Can anyone tell me what this drive is actually like, and what is the best route to take? (I've read about delays with the ferry.) Thanks!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Ally

It's a long, long drive (start out early) but you'll be able to see so much of the beautiful country! As for the route to take, it may be better to take and PA Highway to Liberia, then back down to Tamarindo. This route will be an hour or hour 1/2 longer than if you took the ferry, BUT, as the ferry wait can be 2 hours or more right now, you'll probably save time!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Sandra

THanks, Ally. How many hours would you say it is (via Tamarindo, as you suggest)?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Ally

It's hard for me to say exactly, as I've not driven this specific route, but I'd guess 6-7 hours. This would be based on 2-1/2 or 3 hours to the main highway, then another 2-1/2 or 3 hours to Liberia, then 45 min-1 hr to Tamarindo. Hope someone else can be more specific!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Iza

We drove from Tamarindo to SJ via Tempisque River ferry and it took 5 and 1/2 hours (including 1 hour wait for the ferry). So Ally's estimate of 6-7 hours sounds right. And yes, you will see some great scenery along the way.<BR>I think you should follow Ally's advice and go via Liberia which in itself is a nice non-touristy town where you can take a stroll and have lunch.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:54 PM
David Cook

The Punarenas - Playa Naranjo ferry is way more fun, even if you have to wait a bit. Its probably the only way you're going to see the beautiful Gulf of Nicoya and its a comfortable ride - AC, snack bar and a beautiful view from atop the boat. From the landing at PN, follow Hwy 21 north up the Nicoya Penensula to the turnoff to Tamarindo. Your rental car agent should furnish a good map. The ferry is a nice little adventure that may not be around forever since I hear its heavily gov't subsidised and has been losing money for years. Good luck!