Money Exchange - Sayulita

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Susan

Money Exchange - Sayulita

We are spending a week in Sayulita in mid-February. I understand that there isn't an ATM in Sayulita and I've been told that it may be difficult to cash travellers cheques. Anyone know if this is the case? If so, is there any place relatively nearby where we would be able to find a bank or cambio? We won't have a car, but will probably do some day trips to Bucerias or points north of Sayulita. I hate the idea of bringing a lot of cash to Sayulita. We're from Canada, and I don't want to convert from CAD into USD here and then have to convert in pesos down there. Any advice? Thanks.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Peggy

Yes, that is the case. PeggyWe exchanged money at the airport in PV before going to Sayulita & returned to PV for an afternoon for grocery shopping, sightseeing & lunch & got whatever more money we needed for the rest of the week. You can buy eggs, milk, fruits & staples in Sayulita & quite a few good restaurants on the beach, none very expensive though.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Susan

Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you know if any of the business (i.e., restaurants) take Visa? Not that that is the criteria for chosing a restaurant! But it might help us decide how mcuh cash we need.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Peggy

My husband said he thinks one or two of the restaurants on the beach took Visa but the rest including all the stores took case, mainly pesos. Of course in PV almost all places take credit cards or American money. Have a great time, we loved Sayulita. Post a report when you return. Hopefully Hurricane Kenna didn't do too much damage to the area that hasn't recovered.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Susan

Thanks again, Peggy. I guess we'll have to plan on a trip back into PV during our week. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Peggy

Susan, I just read a big trip report on Sayulita on mytravelboard.com by Jerry. Scroll down to Dec 02 & it is posted over several days. There is some good info on restaurant names & prices that I forgot. One thing, they were during a holiday time & sounds like they had too many tourists for their liking. We felt like we were the only tourist there when we went in October! So I guess timing is everything. But there is other info that might help you.