Reload this Page >

Drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio with children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Tom

My wife and I will be traveling to Costa Rica with our two daughters, ages 9 and 8. We want to avoid too much driving around so we are planning on two days at Arenal and the remainder of the trip in Manuel Antonio. Would it be miserable to drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio in one day? We have to stay in SJ two nights (arrival and departure) and I want to avoid a third if possible. Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:10 PM
David Cook

I really won't be too much problem if you leave early enough. It's not too far if you look at a map but driving in CR is slower than here, 2-lane roads, potholes, truck traffic, etc. Plan on stops for lunch & snacks but you should make it in one day no problem. Good luck you'll have fun & CR is kid-friendly!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:09 PM
barb

We drove from Arenal to Manuel Antonio last week. I have 3 kids ages 17,15 and 11. We were squeezed into a nissan sentra but managed just fine. It took 5 1/2 hours but the roads were busy due to the holidays. we got behind a few trucks and its impossible to pas in some areas. don't go back to SJ.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Tom

Thanks for your input. 5 1/2 hours isn't bad. Even if we take our time (many, many, potty breaks), it shouldn't be a problem.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Tess

Very do-able drive in a day. Did that when I was in CR this past Sept. Best to leave Arenal by 10am to give yourself ample time for potty &amp; lunch breaks and be able to arrive in MA by 5pm. Really don't want to drive in new area when it gets dark (perils of potholes).<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Janet

We've also done the trip, with two adults and three teenage boys. It's scenic, and not bad. Just be careful about staying on the most direct route -we tried a road that existed on the map and looked like a shortcut, but ended halfway in a farmer's field. He though we were very amusing, then sent us back the way we came. The Costa Ricans tend to be warm, friendly and very helpful, so even detours don't tend to be very painful (and sometimes fun). I love CR - been there nine times and can't wait to go back! Have Fun!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Tess

&lt;&gt;<BR>Up ...<BR>