DO'S AND DON'TS in Playa Del Carmen

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Cat

DO'S AND DON'TS in Playa Del Carmen

My husband and I have booked our first vacation to Playa Del Carmen and want to make the most of it. We're staying at the Riu Palace Resort.

We'd love advice on things to see and do while we are there for 6 days - any great local restaurants/bars to check out, fun tours, etc.

Thanks!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:59 PM
cindy

We went to Cancun in October. The tour to Tulum/Xelha looked great to us, but was very expensive thru our hotel. We went to downtown Playa del Carmen and tour operators are everywhere. We ended up going to listen to a 45 min presentation for a time share to get discount tickets to Xelha, and a FREE rental car for a day. (They also gave us a free blanket, bottle of liquor, etc..) We got the car, drove to Xelha, saving about $50 over regular admission and LOVED it. Xelha is a beautiful park...you can snorkle, tube, or just rest by the water on a chair. Its really the best place I have ever been. Have fun....Playa Del Carmen is cool.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:22 PM
AgentMulder

You said a 45 minute presentation how unusual most of these go on for hours till you sign on the bottom line. Before you go to a presentation do your homework. Look up www.timeshare-guru.com. Read Fern's page then look at the resales. A complete listing of brokers listed with resell prices from
$1900-$3000 with 15 to 28 years remaining.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Debbie

Hi - look for my trip report further down the board on RIU Yucatan - in it I include a list of the excursions that are offered from the resort. Xelha, Xcaret, Tulum and the snorkelling tour, going over to Coz - there are tonnes of things to do but don't do it the timeshare way!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Mary

Cat: My now husband and I went to Playa del Carmen about two years for a friends' wedding. (From what I understand, it's changed a lot since then).

The highlight of our trip was definiately Xcaret. If you go, make sure you stay for the night show. We thought it was incredible although we had a great time during the day too. I'm sure they have a website where you could get more, detailed information.

If you have time, I would take the ferry to Cozumel and spend a day there. We went and didn't get to see much. We were only there for about four hours as a couple people in our party were suffering from Montezuma's revenge. Anyway, I hear exploring the island with a rented jeep is a heck of a lot of fun and very safe. If you're a Brett Farve fan (like I am) make sure you stop at the Stadium bar on Cozumel. I also hear it's a great place if you're into diving.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Dean

For waterparks the two main ones are Xel Ha and Xcaret. Xcaret is closer to Playa del Carmen, much larger and more crowded. Xel Ha is a bit more of a relaxing experience. You take a taxi there if you like. The ruins at Tulum to the south are amazing. Set right on the cliffs overlooking the water. A much shorter and less dusty trip than to Chichen Itza. There is also very interesting snorkeling at Yal Kul lagoon near Tulum. There are plenty of great restaurants in Carmen. A favorite is a small French place just off Avienda 5 in the first block to the west - can't remember the name. Also there is a place on the west side of Avienda 5 itself where you walk down into a sunken eating area, very romantic - however don't do it unless you like spending half your meal stomping on cockroaches. A day trip to Cozumel is fun, but the beaches, if you can call them beaches, are nothing compared to Carmen. If you walk north along the beach from the central area of Playa del Carmen about a mile and a half there is Coco beach where you can snorkle right off shore. Most of the action is along Avienda 5 - loaded with shops and restaurants. The beach discos get going at night and you can pick which ones to go to by the biggest crowds.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:05 PM
lavaughn

seems that everyone takes taxi cabs but i have found a good price on a rental car.would anyone recommend renting a car to get around or is driving really that bad there?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:47 AM
anony

Better check out Frommers on the Car Accident Report. You may want to reconsider.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
rp

In reply to lavaughn, we also had found a great deal on a car rental (through Dollar Rent-A-Car at Cancun Airport). We had reserved by credit card, had a confirmation #, etc. When we arrived at the airport, the Dollar desk was closed (2 hours before the posted closing time), and we were told that "the Dollar guy went home because he ran out of cars". Our first step was to try other Dollar rental offices in Cancun, and then the US 800 number. No response. We then tried to get other airport rental agencies to match the price. They wouldn't even come close. We then took an expensive cab ride to the hotel in Playa Del Carmen, and spent the next day trying to contact Dollar. We enlisted the help of the hotel guest services person, and made many attempts to contact Dollar, assuming that a confirmed reservation meant a confirmed reservation. We were never able to contact Dollar, and gave up on the idea of a weekly rental. So, if your "great deal" was through Dollar, good luck.
We did a one-day rental and drove to Tulum and Coba. Good trip, no problems, but local drivers can be fast and reckless.

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:04 PM
tina

We rented a car for 10 days last Christmas. My complaint was the price, $400 for 10 days thru Alamo and we got the smallest car with no a/c. We like to explore the places that we visit so a rental car is a must for us.I didn't think the drivers there were reckless. We're from NY and I see more reckless drivers here. So go rent a car and you'll be able to see more of Mexico.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:34 AM
patywolf

Playa is fantastic. Have been spending time in playa the past l2 years. For good food and andean muisic at night try Karens Pizza it isnt just pizza and I love the band at night. Just stroll down avenida 5 and see it all. It goes on forever now days but when I first came the pigs and chickens ran in the streets. to see photos of playa see my website wolfcalls.com

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:12 PM
duke

Try a day trip to Isla Mujeres from Cancun. Really neat place . You rent a golf cart to tour the island. No high rises at all .great beaches and beach bars. In fact forget Playa del Carman which I find too tacky and go to Isla!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Sabine

A few must do't in my book....
1. Xel-ha.. not the tour, either take the bus or rent a car a few days, which is what we did to drive to all the attractions- a great way to go and less pricey than taxi's.
2. Snorkeling in Dos Ojo's
3. Lunch and snorkeing at Soliman Bay.. site of the Corona commercial
4.Ruins... my favorite are Coba, although Chichen Itza are the biggest, but so far away , and Tulum is incredible too .
5. Snorkeling at Akumal or Tankah
6. Having dinner at Hemingways on 5th ave .
7. A great bar is the Blue Parrot. No bar stools, just swings.
8. A cheap alternative to Xel-Ha... XPU-HA in Akumal. Snorkeing in a beautiful little version of Xel-ha, only $7 or so.
9.Xcaret is nice, expensive and commercial but still fun. Make sure you check out the Butterfly Pavillion.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:35 PM
sabine

Also, the highlight of our trip and the only guided tour we took was the Unimog tour to Rancho San Felipe from Alltournative. Hard to explain, just go to the website and you will see what I mean. It was a blast....
www.alltournative.com

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM
sabine

In regards to my message...

A cheap alternative to Xel-Ha... XPU-HA in Akumal. Snorkeing in a beautiful little version of Xel-ha, only $7 or so.

Its not Xpu-Ha , its called Yalku.
Also, rent a car and reserve it before you leave. We got a small econo car with AC from Budget for under $20 a day , however that did not include insurance, but your credit card may provide insurance on rental cars.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:55 PM
emmise

Hour long ATV ride through jungle and 2person speedboat great fun at Moroma Beach. Great snorkiling at XEL-HA, but bring your own gear, best areas under bridge near jeep pick up and ynder bridge near the restarant. More daring cave snorkel and hidden worlds/caves, they supply wet suit. Wholefamily had plenty of fun at Xacaret, lots to do. Very good restarant in PDC on fifth ave while you shop is Casa de Aqua. Have fun.