Search

Is Venezuela safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Venezuela safe?

My husband and I are considering taking a vacation to Venezuela, but I'm concerned about the posts I've read about safety there. Most of the posts are from last year or early 2008, so I wanted to check again. Are there some areas that would be safe while others, such as Caracas, should be avoided? We would be traveling on our own and are considering visiting Isla Margarita, Angel Falls, Merida and Los Llanos.
Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM

Hi stuckinCT!

I'm from Venezuela, and I lived here during my first 22 years of life and then again since last May. Well, Caracas is not a safe city, it is quite dangerous. You have to know where you can go and where you can't. However, there are innumerable places where you CAN go and that you will find very beautiful and worthy. You should take a flight to Caracas and then try to connect to a flight to either of the places where you want to go. Traveling by bus is also a good idea since is inexpensive. Most of the buses are in very good condition(nothing like the horror of Greyhound if I must add...).

However, you can come to Caracas if you want. Just find a nice neighborhood to stay. The Eurobuilding Hotel and the Tamanaco Hotel are quite nice and well located. If you come, you should definitely visit the Avila. You can either go up by foot (not too far if you don't have a guide) or with the cable car. It's quite a beautiful ride! And while you are up there, you can take a Jeep to Galipán, a lovely little village that produces the most amazing sweets and juices you will ever try!

Let me know if you need more info!

Best,

Ana María
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback, Ana Maria!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM

My wife and I visited Venezuela in April 2008. We stayed at a coastal hotel near the airport and bypassed Caracas about which we had heard poor reports of traffic and safety. Our trip included Merida, the Andes and Los Llanos. We always felt safe on our travels but we had a guide. Some basic Spanish is needed if you do not have a guide.
The extensive land nationalisation programme being pursued by the government has resulted in some of the Hatos (large ranches) being taken over and no longer taking tourists. We had an excellent time at Hato Pinero, where the hospitality was great and the bird and animal life marvellous. We saw jaguar and ocelot and got close to puma!

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Kazon,

What coastal hotel did you stay at near the airport? How was your experience at this hotel? There seem to be very few hotel options near the airport and they seem to be pretty expensive for what they provide.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM

I spent a couple of weeks on Margarita Island. I felt very safe there. It is a laid back atmosphere once you get on the island. Not much to do, but a beautiful place to relax. I was traveling with wind surfers but would choose somewhere else if I was just looking for a vacation spot.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM

My husband and I are taking a trip to Venezuela for 3 weeks this winter starting Jan. 20. We are finding it hard to book any tours, etc from home.
Would like to ask KAZON who they used as guides as we want to visit the areas that they did.
As far as safety issues, we fly into Isla Margarita and are going to the mainland from there. We have booked accommodation at a hotel in the Altamira area, close to the Merida express bus station and one tour operator.
Any suggestions anyone can give us would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM

We are planning a trip to Venezuela in Jan.2014. We are doing an RCI trade so the following choices are available La Puerta,Cumana, Santa Domingo, Ciudad de Merida, or San Cristobal. Which are would you recommend for our first trip?
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM

I was born in Venezuela and left 12 years ago because of crime, I would not visit the country at all, many friends has been kidnapped and robbed. It is a beatifull country but it is not a safe place, if possible I would avoid it.

Iker Santo Domingo is a very small town in the andes, not much to do, Merida and San Cristobal cities in the andes, I would go to Cumana which is a beach.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 01:06 PM

A good circuit will be Cumaná, Paria, Orinoco Delta, Gran Sabana, Los roques or Isla Margarita. When you have time Merida or Llanos is also very nice.