Search

Margarita Island Venezuela

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Margarita Island Venezuela

Has anyone been there? How's the snorkeling, the food, the people, the beaches???? Staying at the Dunes Resort&Beach Hotel at the end of march for 2 weeks. Thanks, Phil (upstate ny)
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Hi, we went 2 years ago and stayed at the Costa Caribe. It was a great time. I'm sure you will find everything to your liking. I wish now we would have stayed at the Dunes but since we had 3 teens with us and it looked more of an adult place. It's out by itself, also.

The people, food, weather, beaches were great. You will find snorkling and any other water sport.

If you would like to buy a book, the "Travel Planner For Venezuela" by John Benus (he's in California) is good, it has a nice section on Margarita. Mine's the 1999 version but i'm sure he has updated by now.

Have a good time.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I hadn't checked the site before asking again. Did you happen to stay at a hotel near the Caracas airport for your transfer? That's the only part I'm worried about. Phil
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Going to Caracas is a pretty DANGEROUS trip right now..There are protests and a danger of a civil war. Several Venezuelans have been killed, hundreds injured and many missing. If you do go to Caracas.. ask the hotel to send a cab and to give you the name of the driver..DO NOT VENTURE OUT OF THE AIRPORT ALONE OR TRUST ANY CABDRIVER. Yes, Margarita is safe and calm
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Hi, if you are getting in too late to catch your flight to Im and have to stay at the airport i would recommended the La Posada del Hidalgo. They will provide their taxi service and will be waiting for you at the airport for $30.00 fee but you know it will be safe. They have a web sight and you can make a reservation on line without giving a CC#.

Like parrotmom said AVOID Caracas. The airport is quite a ways from the city but there is still alot of scamming going on in and around the airport. Don't let anyone steer you towards their transportation. Just use commen sense and say alot of No gracias.

I was nervous about the airport, also, but as it was we ended up staying the night in Miami because of a miss connect. I was disapointed that we didn't get to see a little bit of the Macuto area but it all worked out.

IM will be alot of fun for you. Enjoy!

Oh, and check out the Lonely Planet web sight and go to the Thorntree chat sight on south america, there are alot of people/ backpackers on there that give great advice. I spent alot of time there asking questions on VZ before we went.