Road between Guanacaste and San Jose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard much about CR roads. I know I should fly this route in August, but I'm not fond of "paper planes", so all our travel will be on the road using shuttles. Since it's just two of us, I think shuttles will be more cost-effective than private car.

What's this particular route like in August? We will be staying in areas between San Jose and Playa Hermosa (La Fortuna, Monteverde, etc.) as well as Tortuguero . The way I'm planning our itinerary now, we would either: 1)take an early morning shuttle all the way from SJ to PH and start itinerary there, making our way back to SJ, or 2)reverse itinerary, visiting PH last and from there, taking the 2:15 pm shuttle that gets into SJ at 7:30 pm our last night, bearing in mind all the "obstacles" that can arise.

I am inclined to get the "long" trip out of the way in the beginning although my preference would be to do the beach-relax part (PH) after the active part.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

I'd agree with you about getting the long part over with first. Never have I wanted to drive that 4.5-5 hours all the way back to San Jose at the very end of a trip!

For relaxing at the end, can you arrange a day or two at Peace Lodge or some other such restful lodge in the area--Vista del Valle perhaps?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm considering doing the Tortuguero leg last when we get back from PH (after a night in SJ), but just how bad is the road from PH to SJ? I understand Hwy 1 is paved. Do you know? Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to add, do you know how the road is the last two hours (when it will probably be dark)? It wouldn't be mountainous, would it? Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM

The highway between Liberia and San Jose is a very decent road--the Pan American Highway. Congested at times (particularly on weekends with travel to and from the beaches), but not bad at all. You won't be driving fast (speed limit tends to be 60 or 80 kph--around 40 or 50 miles per hour. We've driven in after dark numerous times. Exercise caution--you'll be fine.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

There are mountains on either side of you (more in the distance) but it's not like a curvy, steep, mountainous road. And yes, it's paved.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, one less burden to worry about.

Should we take the time to go to Monteverde for two nights after three nights in Arenal or just forego Monteverde and stay five nights in Arenal? We wanted to do the Sky Trek in the cloud forest, but I guess we can do a canopy in Arenal. I feel we will lose a day just getting to Monteverde, but I still don't want to miss it. Is the cloud forest there an absolute must-see? I realize I can get there and end up totally rained and fogged(?)out. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Personally, I think 5 days at Arenal is a bit much. 3 nights is good. Ordinarily, I would suggest 3 nights at Monteverde, but you could enjoy it in 2. The drive in between will be an adventure with lots of nice scenery--so it isn't wasted time.

You could also switch to 2 nights Arenal and 3 nights Monteverde. We have a tendency to jump around a bit too much, and twice we've stayed at Arenal for only 2 nights. Enjoyed ourselves both times. Staying 3 this year!

Enjoy yourselves! Both are great areas.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, you're a gem. I thought Arenal was the place you stay longer at; may have to tweak plans again. These boards are the best. Thanks again.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Have an awesome trip! By the way, whether go to Arenal or Monteverde, or how long to stay at each is always a matter of opinion. Some people prefer one, others prefer the other. It's a tough call. To me, Arenal offers a little more.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM

For me, the wild card is always the stretch of highway between Puntarenas and San Ramon. As Shillmac says, it's not a twisty mountain road, but it is the climb from lowlands to highlands and has a lot of curves. You can get stuck in a long line of traffic behind a slow-moving truck or behind a rickety car that's held together only by prayer. There's no way to safely pass, not that that doesn't stop drivers from trying. That section can take forever ... or you can just zip along. Weekends are always worse.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I would definitely spend more time in Arenal than Monteverde. The cloud forest is very nice, but IMO there is a lot more diverse things to do in Arenal/La Fortuna.

The drive from the Pacific Coast to SJ is paved (after you get off the peninsula, anyway), but it is a LONG drive. Winding, single lane, uphill sections where you end up following big trucks that can barely make it up the hills made us want to scream, and it took almost 6 hours. It was the only part of the trip that I would say was awful.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all 3 of you. Have Dramamine, will travel LOL. (I've read Xanax is the choice of some here.) I know I shouldn't make such a fuss about those little planes, but my experiences in them have not been good, so for me, the lesser of two evils is the road trip. (We'll be saving a bit of money, too.) Sounds like the trips will be very tedious, but when I'm on vacation, that's the one time I don't let traffic bother me since I'm never in a rush to get anywhere unless I'm running late for a flight! Besides which, I don't have a choice but to sit back and relax, so if there's no scenery (and when would that be?!), I'll just put my head back and put the Ipod earphones on; maybe I'll download some rainforest sounds! Oh, and following the advice on this board, our return trip (PH to SJ) will be on a Thursday, so hopefully, it will only take 6 hours instead of 12! Thanks again. You are the experts.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot, shillmac, you have a great time, too!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Thanks! Arrived in Puerto Rico yesterday, sailing to Tortola Friday.

Jeff is right on regarding the highway to San Jose. And your word "tedious" is a pretty apt description also! However, in many trips, it has only been tedious about 20% of the time. And, as Jeff said, usually on weekends. Once we were stopped for 2 hours, truck ahead broken down. Everyone else just got out and visited with each other. I guess it's all in how you look at it! But that is a very good reason why you don't travel around in a car if there is anyplace you HAVE to be at any given time--like the airport!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Enjoy Puerto Rico, shillmac. Unless, that is, you're one of those people who confuse Costa Rica with Puerto Rico and San Jose with San Juan. I've actually met travelers in Costa Rica who say, "I love it here in Puerto Rico," or, "This is a beautiful island."
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Enjoy the wedding, Shillmac. And then CR. I, like so many, have enjoyed your posts, recommendations, suggestions, etc., etc. Wonder if I will ever follow your advice like I did Faithies's last Jan., and made a three day decision, as she did, just to see if it would work. And it did. You "guys" are fun to follow, even if I am older, I am not always wiser, or adventurous. But your posts are catalysts to prompt me to continue living life to the fullest. Thank you.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Ah, Dyer, that's sweet. Thank YOU. You've been a wonderful contributer on Fodor's yourself.

And Jeff, we've actually laughed about that same thing so many times! I have friends who, to this day, as much as I speak of Costa Rica, think it is an island. And while I don't confuse Puerto Rico with Costa Rica, I've caught myself saying "San Jose" more than once! Age doesn't help!

Thanks for the good wishes--I'm just having bread, cheese, and a great glass of wine. Doing the "chill"--it's great!