Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Does this place exist in Cancun/RivMaya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an older couple (50s) and we need a new nonstop destination from Philly since UsAir ended their Aruba nonstops. We are going in early September even though it's hurricane season.

Major concern is it must be easy travel, no hour-long rides from the airport, which is why we'd prefer Cancun. Must have good gym & pool or beach for SERIOUS swimming. Prefer all-inclusive if the food is healthy. We don't need nightlife, activities, or parties, and we'd prefer a place without kids and crowds.

We want a quiet, laid back, romantic, top-quality place that doesn't scream excess (for example, I looked at pix of the Royal in Playa del Carmen and it reminded me of a factory). I had considered Villa Rolandi in Isla Mujeres but was told their beach is pretty unswimmable. We live in a luxury condo all year round so we don't need a Ritz Carlton, and we like places with a rustic "barefoot elegance" atmosphere, such as Swept Away Negril, Bucuti Beach in Aruba, and Las Brisas in Acapulco). Does such a place exist in this area (or any other nonstop destination from Philadelphia)? I know I've narrowed down our options a lot, but if there's anywhere that can come up with something, it's this forum. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

Another fan of Swept Away here and I keep going back as there are few places like it.

Have you looked into LeBlanc? I am going there soon as it appears to meet those criteria and we are the same age group and have same requirements. Overall Cancun has little appeal but Le Blanc appears to be an oasis in the land of excessively large resorts.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

That is so funny that you mention Le Blanc because I was looking at its description right before I saw your reply! The reviews at Trip Advisor are all very positive. When are you going there?
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

p.s. also considering Le Meridien & JW Marriott in Cancun and Paraiso de la Bonita outside of Cancun.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

I've stayed twice at the JW and just loved it. 1st time, we stayed in a grand ocean front suite, which had an incredible view and was a wonderful room, the 2nd we stayed in a regualar room on club level, and really enjoyed the club level food and service.
The LeMeridien is a very attractive hotel as well.
The Paraiso does not have a good swimming beach.
Check out Tides Riviera Maya and Maroma also.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM

KeyGal,

We just got back from a wonderful 8-night stay at Maroma, which is a luxury resort about 20 miles south of Cancun airport. No transportation issues as they pick you up at the airport and within the hour you will be on the beach sipping a margarita.

The hotel is first-class all the way with a magnificent beach and 3 pools. No crowds whatsoever.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I didn't realize Maroma was that close to Cancun so I will re-consider it. Is their beach good for swimming and is there a decent gym for my husband? And is it all-inclusive?

Glad you mentioned Tides because when I looked it up I realized it used to be Ikal del Mar, which I was trying to find with no success. Is it casual as well and is the swimming good?

Also, are any of the above mentioned places casual? Just found out that Le Blanc requires dress shoes and shirts with collars for dinner, and I'm not sure if we want that kind of atmosphere.

One of the reasons we wanted to stay in Cancun is because my husband is up ALL night the night before we leave, closing his club for the season, and we don't want to have transportation hassles. So I'd also like to know what the trip is like to Tides or Maroma and other places along the Riviera Maya. I'd rather not subject him to a long car ride after getting off the plane, but it might be worth it if the resort we're going to is quieter, more casual, and less Americanized.

Thanks so much for all your help because you are giving me leads that my travel agent didn't.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Mayakoba was another place our agent recommended, but I'm concerned that beceause it's a Fairmont it might be too formal for us. We got spoiled by the casual, laid back environment at Swept Away and in Aruba for so many years!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:13 PM

Secrets Capri, very nice, adults only, good beach, great food, great staff. On same stretch of beach as the Fairmont. Excellent place.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

I think most places along the Riviera Maya are generally pretty casual. I've seen Mayakoba, not stayed, it looked absolutely gorgeous...
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Hi KeyGal. I don't believe that Maroma has an all-inclusive option. I'm sure there's a gym but don't know exactly what's in it as we didn't go in there. Yes, the beach is very good for swimming.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM

We were at the Royal Playa del Carmen and it was nice for an AI. I have found most have a little of the factory feel. The rooms are very nice, pool is beautiful, beach is also nice, service is friendly, but not like RITZ. Food was very good for breakfast and lunch and many healthy choices at several restaurants...dinner was good too, but obviously not $100 a person gourmet. More like a $40 PP meal. There was not much nightlife at the resort, which is fine as there is plenty on 5th ave. The town of Playa is wonderful. I felt it was a great value for what you got. There were a few weddings during our stay and an hour of cheezy pool games, but all in all it was nice and good value. Beds were like westin hevenly beds...ahhh. I may even consider it again and just eat a few meals in Playa vs the resort. I've heard Royal Hideaway is very nice, but beach is still not so great. The tides is on my list (was ikel del mar) for something very quiet and peaceful. I am mixed with Maroma. Paraiso de la Bonita is part of the list too. The ride is very easy to Playa from the airport. The hotel strip in Cancun is 20 minutes from the airport and Playa is about 50 on a major road. Azul Blue is also of interest and seems a bit different than the average AI. The Royal Cancun is supposed to be even nicer, but I don't know about the beaches.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I love the people in this board!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:10 AM

make sure to let us know what you choose, and then a trip report !
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

ok, i will
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 03:52 AM

KeyGal, I booked Azul Blue for 4 nights beginning April 27. I am deciding between the new Excellence property at Playa Mujeres, Royal Hideaway and LeBlanc for the second 4 nights.

I prefer small and intimate as well. I detest the AIs that cater to the "I'm 30 and still on spring break" hard partying crowd. My idea of nightlife is live jazz or a piano bar these days.

Since a great beach is desired, I am not sure about RH as the erosion is awful.

As for dress code, I actually prefer them. I do not enjoy having dinner in a lovely restaurant surrounded by people in cargo shorts and flip flops. So, a dress code is a must have for me, at least to some extent.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Actually I agree with you about the dress code -- when I say casual, I don't mean jeans and sandals either. Well, we've decided on the Royal Cancun. But I've put all the other suggestions on my list to check out in the future -- Le Blanc, Meridien, JW Marriott, Mayakoba, Secrets Excellence & Capri, Playa Mujeres, Tides, Maroma, Azul Blue, and Royal Playa del Carmen -- and maybe visit some for a look-see while we're there. Thanks for all the help! I will post report upon our return (mid-September).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM

The Royal looks nice, have a great trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:19 PM

I'm sure you will enjoy the resort...it is supposed to be even nicer than the Royal Playa. I just fell in love with the town too vs the south florida feel of Cancun. I'm sure you will have time to explore...Isla Mujeres would be a nice day trip. Have Fun!