Does taking Acidophilus help???

Mar 26th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Kathy

Does taking Acidophilus help???

I will be making my visit trip to the Yucatan. I will be away from the tourist areas and will be expected to eat in some of the local people's homes. I have a "weak" stomach and was told to take the dietary suppliment, Acidophilus as well as Pepto Bismol tablets. I would like to know if anyone has used this remedy, or if anyone has some suggestions on how not to get sick--aside from the unusal water and food cautions. Thanks for your help!!

Mar 27th, 2000, 02:55 PM
CAROLYN

yes!!! we just returned from a trip to the back backcountry of mexico. i.e. no tourist restaurants, no bottled water. previous trips i would at least get one bout of sickness, but this being the first year on acidophilus, i was fine for the whole three weeks, and we ate in every possible place we probably shouldn't have.

Apr 4th, 2000, 02:29 AM
Kathy

I will answer my own question. Yes, it did help. We just returned from Cancun, Merida and many points in between. We ate and drink homemade juices in several homes, with minimal santitation, and I did not have any problems. When possible, I did avoid tap water, uncooked vegetables and unpeeled fruit.

Apr 4th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Heidi

Where did you get the acidophilus? Did you have to get a perscription from your doctor? I am leaving for Puerto Vallarta on 5/5 and am wondering if I should get some. Please advise ASAP. Thanks!

Apr 4th, 2000, 07:35 PM
Sandy

TO Heidi: We also "drop acid" (acidophilus !!!) every morning while in Mexico as well as eat yogurt with our breakfast & have yet to get sick. (touch wood!).We ARE careful & only drink bottled water as well.Plus we squirt lime juice on any AND everything (which makes your tummy very acidic & difficult for little critters to live in).My sister who is the head of a lab
at a local hospital says to do it so I do it! I've always bought a fresh bottle of acidophilus tablets at any drugstore just before we go to Mexico....no prescription..just ask the pharmacist if you can't see it on the shelf.I believe that it's the same (or similar to) the bacteria that's in yogurt so it's not a drug that you need a prescription for. I'd highly advise checking into it. Good luck!