Search

Iguazu Falls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu Falls

My husband lived in Argentina when he was much younger and spent time also in many other countries in SA. He has been promising me a trip to Argentina and Iguazu Falls. We have decided to go sometime later this year. When he lived there he visited Iguazu falls and has talked about it so much. After watching Amazing Race when they went to the falls I am afraid he will be very disappointed. When he was there they didn't even have a road to the falls. On the tv show it looked awfully touristy. How touristy is it now? I may want to tell him I don't want to go so he will be able to keep his wonderful memories.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:28 AM

8 years ago I was there - yes touristy, but the setting is still totally amazing. Iguacu and Great Barrier Reef are the two most impressive natural wonders I have seen in over 50 countries. I would love to go back and this time stay at Cataratas Hotel and not the mediocre place I stayed at in Foz town.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:29 AM

As Travelnic says, the setting is beautiful, but yes, it´s touristy. It´s no longer the place your husband visited, without road, jungle like. I mean, the area is a rainforest, but nowadays there is infrastructure on both sides (Argentinian and Brazilian). <BR>Just think that the Iguazu Falls have been declared Patrimony of Humanity by UNESCO so people from all over the world come to visit them. New roads have been built and on the argentine side there are new catwalks that enable people get very close to the falls.<BR>It´s touristy, but not awfully as you say. It´s BEAUTIFULLY touristy.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. It does sound like a place I would like to see.<BR>I will just keep saying beautifully touristy.<BR>I will keep that hotel in mind thanks for the heads up on it.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Suzie, you are welcome. I hope you enjoy your trip. I also suggest your husband and you take the excursion to the jungle if you want to do something more &quot;natural&quot;. You´ll love the Falls!<BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:15 AM

You can get a feel by watching The Mission with De Niro and Jeremy Irons . i understand it was filmed there.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

A great movie! <BR>I have spent a lot of time in the Costa Rican rain/cloud forests. Training for Argentina? <BR>Time to move on to bigger and better. Despite the changes at Iguazu it has still got to be amazing and I am sure there is still plenty of jungle to see.<BR>I'm ready!!!!!!! Thanks again<BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:03 PM
RW

It is spectacular! Don't worry about the tourists -- NYC is touristy but it doesn't take away from the awe.