Search

Iguazu Falls -worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu Falls -worth it?

I'm going to Argentina with limited time and want to see the Andes as well. I am wondering what any visitors to the Falls thought of it?I've been to Niagra - did the whole boat ride under the falls, have seen some other waterfalls. Is this more special? I'm also going solo. Niagra was nice with a boyfriend but this time going alone -- is it worth it for me to make the trip?
Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM

In the last two years I have visited Victoria Falls, Niagara Falls and Iguazu Falls. I would list the three in that order with Iguazu Falls being the least interesting of the three. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM

I've not been to Niagara, Angel, or Victoria Falls, but I thought Foz do Iguaçu was breathtaking. I also traveled there alone. I went during their winter (our summer) and there was water everywhere, in every direction. The surrounding scenery is also spectacular. I plan on returning this year. This time I hope to see some wildlife, which supposedly is in great abundance (I took little notice last time). Your message hints that you have already seen enough of waterfalls, so maybe if you have "limited" time, you might have to skip Iguaçu. Have a look at this link (it compares waterfalls):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls
Also have a look at:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...300010001.html
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your excellent, helpful answers. They made me decide!

Happy Travels,

Alexa
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM

alewxa35:

My wife and I visited Iguazu falls many years ago. It was one of the highlights of that trip.

We saw the falls from Brazil and Argentina as well as from the water.

Our hotel was on the Brazilian side and it was great. We saw toucan from our balcony, and coatomundi [spelling] while at the falls on the Argentine side. people were feeding them chocolate bars. Not a good idea. They looked tame but they are wild animals.

We did not take a helicopter tour as we were told that the noise was damaging to the birds so we would not support that.

I would highly recommend it but that is my opinion and according to my taste.

Woodie
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Woodie, would love to hear the the name of your hotel on the Brazilian side. Sounds like most people recommend the pricey Sheraton, but a smaller place that's still close to the park would be faboo.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Except in severe drought situations, Iguazu Falls is much bigger than Niagra, and IMO much more exciting. It is in tropical surroundings and even though designed for tourists, the viewing trails are spread over a larger area so the "feel" of the area is totally different from Niagra. While the Sheraton is pricey in Argentine terms, the location in the park as well as convenience to get dry clothes during the day IMO makes it worth the price--especially if it is only one night. The non falls side rooms are a little less in cost, and the falls are dark at night. You are paying for a daytime view and most of the people are on the catwalks or outside during the day. One other reminder, if you travelling on US passport, technically you need a VISA ($90?) to go to the Brazilian side.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM

I agree with College Mom, the size and tropical surroundings of Iguazu Falls makes them, in my opinion, much, much more fantastic than Niagara. I have not been in Victoria Falls. I also agree with her feedback on the Sheraton. Its location is superb, the rooms at the back are a good choice because as you said you are never in the room looking at the falls during the day but most likely walking on the trails in the park or admiring the view from the public spaces in the hotel, such as the dinning room etc.
To visit Brasil we took a taxi for the day that took care of the whole thing of course there was the risk of being stopped without the visa but it worked fine.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM

hi, have been as a tour guide to the falls various times and still absol. love it. It's surrounded by forests and is very beautiful and covers a huge area, has 256 individual falls except when the water level is very high and they join into bigger ones, or little rain which hasnt happened for a while. The hotel on Brasilian side is called Hotel das Cataratas , check out the site:
http://www.hoteldascataratas.com/web...a_a2a_home.jsp
it's not very small but is colonial and lovely. It's in front of the falls and the same applies, rooms with view at front more expensive than those which face gardens or pool area. Food is good, and walks near hotel for falls.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM

My daughter and son-in-law are planning a trip to Argentina in June. They only have time to visit one site outside of Buenos Aires. They left the choice to me. The decision was a no-brainer--Iguauzu Falls, for the reasons others have identified.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM

Hi, Doc!
I assume you mean the Iguazú Falls.
LOL!!!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:26 AM

pshamrock:

It has been many years since we were at Iguazu but I believe that gypsyluce is correct. The name sounds very familiar.

I will check with my wife who has a very good memory and if it is some other place,I will post right away.

I remember that the hotel was very comfortable with a large room a good restaurant and an interior garden where a certain bird[s] would nest in those trees. Their nests were hanging, quite different from anything I had ever seen. I was told that they nested here in this busy spot as it was safe from their preditors.

Have a good one and if you decide on Iguazu I can not see how you would go wrong.

Woodie
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM

Iguazu is fantastic and in my opinion, far exceeds Niagara Falls. First, Iguazu has lots more areas of waterfalls, but more importantly the real attraction is the surrounding area. To be in the middle of a beautiful rainforest (as opposed to the touristy town of Niagara) and experience these massive falls is absolutely spectacular. I've traveled many places in the world and Iguazu ranks among my very favorite. Don't miss it.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
pat

You might want to watch the movie The Mission, just to get an idea of what the falls are like. I thought the falls were spectacular, especially the Devil`s Throat.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM

Iguazu Falls was on my (rather long) list of places 'to see before you die' and I have just returned from a South American Trip where I was able to see them from both Brazil and Argentina and they more than lived up to expectations they were SPECTACULAR!
I met an American lady who said that after seeing Iguazu it made Niagara Falls very hohum!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM

I can't come up with enough superlatives to describe the majesty of Iguazú Falls. I have never seen Niagra Falls, but after Iguazú, I have absolutely no desire to do so. Check this out: http://www.iguazuargentina.com/

I agree with CollegeMom and Graziella5b about the reason why you should stay at the Sheraton - LOCATION! No need to pay the approximately 30% premium for a falls view room. You won't be spending enough time there to benefit. You have the same view in the downstairs restaurant where you will eat breakfast every morning...and it's all free. Plus, you will be outside all day.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with the posters who say Iguazu Falls is spectacular and not to be missed if you like falls. We spent 2 days at Iguazu Falls and went on all the trails--loved it! Niagra Falls pales in comparison. We were able to get a good rate at the Sheraton on their website and were happy to be so convenient to the Falls.

Whether it's "worth it" depends upon your interests and how much time you have to do see other places.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM

just 2 words.

It was Eleonor Roosevelt who said
"Poor Niagara" when she contemplated the Iguazu falls.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Just kidding with my great friend "milla", probably the best independent travel agent in BA:
1) I believe is should be "Eleanor", not "Eleonor"
2) In Argentína, we use an accent in "Iguazú"
LOL!!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Why are you always right?
Eleanor and Iguazú.
But at least I am using capital letters now ,which is a great improvement!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -