Search

Distance between Arenal and Fortuna

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distance between Arenal and Fortuna

Hello,
Two daughter and 60y self visiting Costa Rica 6/25 - 7/11. Want to see as much as economically possible. The first stop from San Jose will be Quepos, from there I will be going to the Arenal/LaFortuna area. My question is which place should I go to first (Lost Iguana or Silencio de Campo) I wll be using Interbus, and will depart for San Jose for end of vacation. I am open to all suggestions and information. Thanx to all in advance. I am learning as I go. If I have done something improper plez correct me. I am unaccustomed to using forums.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Silencio del Campo would be before Lost Iguana as far as Interbus drop off. The hotels are not far enough apart from one another to warrant switching, unless you have a particular reason for doing so. Lost Iguana is a little more lux, on the lava side of the volcano and near the hanging bridges, whereas SDC is a smaller, locally owned place with bungalows and it's own hot springs and also just a couple miles from Eco-Thermales hot springs. You might find staying in Manuel Antonio, rather than Quepos, a little more convenient and closer to sites and tours.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Are you splitting your time between Lost Iguana and Silencio del Campo? You might want to consider just picking one so you don't have to move around so much.

Silencio is close to La Fortuna, off the main road that winds around the volcano. Lost Iguana is sort of on the other side of the volcano from town, and it will probably take about 20 minutes to drive in from there. Both are highly recommended places to stay in the area.

Check out this map to get your bearings a bit:

http://www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm

Silencio del Campo is #23 on the map and Lost Iguana is #2.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM

I agree with above, I would stay at one or the other, not really worth switching hotels, they are at most 10 minutes apart.

I would also look into staying in Manuel Antonio rather than Quepos. That is where the hotels are, the wildlife, the park etc.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Oops, Hip beat me to the punch with her response so forgive me for redundantly commenting on splitting your time between the hotels. ;-)

I also recommend you look to stay in Manueal Antonio village rather than in Quepos, so that you're nice and close to the park.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM

I agree with everyone else - you should really just pick the Lost Iguana or Silencio del Campo - both are great choices. If you want a little more posh and volcano lava views, pick Lost Iguana. If you want smaller with hot springs then pick Silencio del Campo. I wouldn't want to waste time moving from one to the other. Silencio del Campo is right in town; Lost Iguana is set on the edge of town on several acres of property with lush landscaping. When we were at LI, they had a free shuttle that went into town in the evenings. You can go to www.tripadvisor.com to see pics of both properties to see which suits you. Both of them get good reviews.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hi KaceyP!

You can find information on distances and drinving times on www.yourtravelmap.com .
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Kacey, you asked about the distance between Arenal and Fortuna. Arenal is the name of the volcano IN La Fortuna - is that what you meant? Everyone refers to the town as Arenal though.