Dengue in Costa Rica

Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Dengue in Costa Rica

The CDC has just issued travel warnings for Central and South America and parts of the Caribbean because of Dengue Fever outbreaks.
We are traveling there in December. Could this, and malaria, be a concern?
Thanks.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM

I wouldn't "just issued", it's been an issue for the last 2 years or so.

Wear bug spray with deet. Honestly I have a worse problem with skeeters here in FL than I've ever had down there, but I still always have the spray with me.
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM

I hear you, tully; we can't even go in our backyard without getting attacked here in Texas. Honestly they're much worse here than in CR. Dengue fever was in the news when I was there in July, but there's no preventative for it - it was happening on the Caribbean side. We're always careful to wear repellant and haven't had any problems. Some people choose to take malaria meds, but we have never taken them - really just your personal choice.
Oct 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I was recently in Costa Rica, Sept '07, and asked my birding guide about Dengue while hiking in the Caribbean jungle. There were a few mosquitos in some places. He said it was more a problem in the city at dawn and dusk and not to worry.
From my reading malaria is much less of a problem than dengue.
Oct 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM

I'm the editor of Luxury Latin America (http://www.luxurylatinamerica.com/) and one of my employees in Costa Rica came down with a horrible case of Dengue Fever that knocked him out for two weeks. He says there are literally thousands of cases going on right now and news reports say that there is a declared state of emergency. Definitely take it seriously: dress appropriately and carry strong DEET. Oddly enough, it's worse in San Jose than it is in rural areas. Apparently mosquitoes are breeding in garbage dumps, water in old tires, etc.

This is not confined to Costa Rica. Mexico, Venezuela, and Brazil are having problems too. Looks like Mexico has been more proactive about fighting the problem though.
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Everything I've read says that the mosquitoes that spread dengue bite during the day unlike the malaria spreading types.
Oct 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM

There have been over 18,000 cases of dengue reported in CR this year. The hospital in Liberia has been turning people away who are looking for treatment. This from a friend who lives in Guanacaste.

Jerry
Oct 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I recommend Sawyer's time-release lotion repellent with Deet. I also enjoy the break from the mosquitos at home when I go to Costa Rica, but since they can carry some nasty diseases, I always take the Deet with me.

Sandy