Search

Day trips from SJ w/kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from SJ w/kids

My husband and our 17 & 12 yr old sons will be going to Costa Rica for a week in February. They will have 3 whole days in San Jose before flying to the Osa Peninsula for 3 night.

Since they don't want to change hotels once they arrive in SJ, can anyone recommend some good day trips from there?

Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Definitely the 4-in-1 (aka Highlights Tour) by Ecoscape http://www.ecoscapetours.com/ An all day tour, I had a great time & felt it was a great value.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:53 AM

The Highlights Tour that Tully mentioned is an excellent suggestion. I also think "the guys" would enjoy a day of whitewater rafting on the Pacuare. Class III and IV rapids. There are a couple of companies that seems to come highly recommended--Rio Tropicales and Aventuras Naturales.
Both have easy to find websites.

If they want to pack a little more into the 3 days, they might consider a trip up to Arenal. It would make for a long day because it is about a 2.5 or 3 hour drive, but they could do a canopy tour, visit Tabacon Resort and the Hot Springs, and February would be a great time for a view of the volcano and its antics. You could check on a tour that would include several activities.

Another location about 2 hours from San Jose is the new Turubari Nature Park. They have recently put in a VERY LONG zipline, and we've heard it is quite exciting. Also a lot of other attractions in the park. Also online and easy to find.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:03 PM

WOW, I just looked at their website....that zipline looks incredible!! Maybe I can fit in a day there on my next trip.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your responses.
The ideas sound good, so they will be
very likely added to the schedule.