Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Trip to Mexico - Oaxaca logisitcs/San Miguel de Allende?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to plan last minute trip to Mexico and we have already learned a bunch from reading recent posts. We are trying to figure out logistics for our six day adventure and would love some specific advice.

How realistic would it be to fly into Mexico City, take a bus to Oaxaca City and also try to get to the beach? We can't figure out how long the journey from MC to OC is and then how long the journey from OC to any of the beaches would be. Help!

Alternatively, we could do San Miguel de Allende.

Thoughts??

Old May 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM

Pretty long bus rides - 6 hours from Mex City to Oaxaca, then that many or more again from Oaxaca to Huatulco etc.
Check out this site for info
http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...xaca_frame.htm
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

You can buy the bus tickets on the phone from the US and have your seat reserved when you arrive at Mexico.
May I suggest for simple logistics the following why don't you take a bus to Puebla directly from the Airport of MExico city. The ride is only two hours. Stay over night ( I can recommend the Hotel Colonial) and then catch a 4 hour bus to Oaxaca.
I am saying this because the taxi ride from the bus terminal to the hotel in Puebla is short and taxis at the terminal are reliable at least I found them reliable but you should ask your hotel.
I would forget the beach if I were you.Good luck.
By the way Puebla is exciting and lovely to visit.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:14 PM

Just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in the state of Oaxaca.
Flew into Oaxaca City but bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca City is very do-able... or you can even rent a car if you have a sense of adventure. Trip by car is about 6 hrs; by 1st class bus probably closer to 8 hrs. Travel by day; avoid evening travel. Road is good. We stayed for a week at Las Mariposas ... a bed and breakfast owned and operated by Mother/daughter team ... the most hospitable and lovely women. Very helpful, friendly, knowledgeable of the area ... they helped make our stay a delight. Relaxed breakfast in the courtyard each morning; easy access to internet; very comfortable like home ... yet private; best of all easy walking to mercado, great restaurants, etc. Casa Oaxaca is excellent restaurant with world class chef and is only a few blocks away. It was just great!
We rented a car in Oaxaca City and drove to the southern coast ... just 6 hrs ... very curvey, yet the roads were good. Again, day driving. Puerto Escondido was GORGEOUS. Great beaches ... the world's 10th best surfing beach at one bay ... secluded quiet water in another just minutes away. Again, a great bed and breakfast... Tabachin. Excellent breakfast ... organic fruits, coffee, and chocolate from owner's own ranch. Great people ... only 6 rooms, each one a floor to itself. Don Pedro, the owner, is an American, well read, loves conversation at breakfast. You can view on website www.tabachin.com.mx
If you want beach developed more like Cancun, Hualtuco, at the more eastern end, would be the area to go. Excellent weather, friendly people. Great part of the country. Hope you have a great time! The beach was wonderful. Don't miss it!
We drove from Puerto Escondido to Mexico City by way of Taxco to visit friends so I can't tell you how long that leg of the trip would be, but there are daily flights into both Puerto Escondido and Oaxaca City so you wouldn't have trouble flying in if you didn't want to drive. Have a great trip! - DL
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:06 AM

The bus from Mexico Cit to Oaxaca City is at most 6 hours, and very easy to do. I've heard that the roads from Oaxaca City to the coast make for car sickness in those so inclined, but have not personally taken them. IMHO 6 days is not long enough to do both the city and the beach, but if you choose to include both, look into flights rather than bus for your connections.