Notices

Cuts of Beef Argentina

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cuts of Beef Argentina

Hi,
Getting ready to leave in less than a week and can't find an article that mentioned the different cuts of beef.

What is the best cut of beef in Argentina? In the states we normally order a t-bone or porterhouse but would like to try whatever is suggested. Also, medium rare is important to us and was wondering how to properly order it.
My husband like sweetbreads and I noticed they are popular but can anyone tell me how they are prepared in Argentina?
Many thanks
Pat
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM

I would concentrate on the "lomo" (filet mignon) and the "bife de chorizo" (less tender and more flavorful).

For medium rare I would specify "jugoso" and keep in mind that there is a tendency towards overcooking meat in our country.

About the "mollejas" (sweetbreads), they would be grilled in our "parrillas" (steakhouses), buy may be cooked in other ways in other restaurants.

There is A LOT about all this in the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum, some of it written by yours truly. I suggest using their search feature under the green bar, mentioning the words "lomo", "bife de chorizo", "parrilla", "sweetbreads", etc.

Have a great time in our country. You can diet when are back home. LOL!!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much avrooster - on my way over to trip advisor right now.

You give so much valuable info and we are looking forward to this trip.

I never worry about diet on vacation
Pat
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:35 AM

The bife de chorizo with a huge (and quite good) "open" salad bar and bottle of Malbec for 2 was about $20. US at Juana M. Worth a visit if you're near Plaza San Martin, etc.
M
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM

If you specify you want your steak "a punto", it will be done medium rare. I want to second Mikemo's recommendation of Juana M. If you only want a glass or two of wine per person rather than a whole bottle, the cost is only about 25 pesos a person or a little over $8, and the steak is 15 ounces. What a bargain!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM

ttt
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM

I would say that "a punto" will normally get you a medium or even medium/well steak as opposed to medium rare. Listen to AV about the tendency to overcook. Maybe you can try asking for it "entre jugoso y a punto"...

raquel
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM

The point is that if the meat is too rare, you can always send it for a little while more at the grill, but if it is overcooked, it is ruined for those who like their steak juicy. Maybe "más bien jugoso" would do the trick exactly.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

As always, a good thread and good posters old rooster. Here is some additional information I came across...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-614833.html
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM

Some good info on beef and dining in general can be found here on Guille's pages.
http://www.guillebaires.com.ar/asados.htm#ref2

http://www.guillebaires.com.ar/beef.htm#ref4

raquel
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM

I will only disagree with av's translation of lomo, though not with his recommendation that you concentrate on it or bife de chorizo. While the cuts are different from north american cuts, lomo is closest to sirloin and bife de chorizo is essentially a t-bone or porterhouse, minus the bone (usually) (the closest cut to a filet mignon here is peceto). If you're more adventurous, try an entraña, which is what we'd call a hangar steak - a personal favorite, but chewier and slightly gamey in flavor.

One great place to try the mollejas, or sweetbreads, is a place called PrimaFila, in the BA Design Center (behind the famed Recoleta Cemetery) - they do an amazing saute of them with fennel, yams, honey, and spices. The best grilled ones that I've had are at a parrilla called El Yugo, in Recoleta.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM

ss, muchas gracias.
Lomo here is loin - pork or beef); filete is filet/tenderloin.
M (SMdA, Gto.)