Cusco to Sacred Valley= train or car and driver?

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cusco to Sacred Valley= train or car and driver?

We are two seniors who plan to travel to Peru in Oct. What is the aprox. cost via vista dome train vs private car to Aguas Call and Ollen.? Is there a time difference for the trip? Would it be a good idea to take a car/driver one way and the train the other? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
You can only drive as far as Oallantaytambo and from there the only way to go to AC is on the train. The train from Ollantaytambo to AC is about 1.5 hours. You can also take a train all the way from Cusco to AC - time is around 3 hours. Where are you starting from?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

We plan to spend 2 nights in Cusco, then go to both A.C. and Oll. The questions is how to do it. We'd like to see as much as possible, and not break the bank doing it. We are both senior citizens and not that physically fit.
We thought we'd go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo for two days and then to Aguas C. for 2 nights to visit M.P. before returning to Cusco and Lima. My question is the best order and method of doing this.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We went directly from the airport to the SV. The SV is a bit lower in altitude than Cusco and I think it helps to acclimate to start in SV. Ollanataytambo is a wonderful village and a nice place to use as a base for touring the SV.

While we have never used a tour guide before, we did for the portion of our trip in SV, Cusco and MP. We used David Choque who is a delightful person and added greatly to our trip. We had already made our hotel reservations before contacting David. He did make all the train reservations and provided transportation for us. After several emails back and forth David called us and asked many questions about our age, physical fitness etc. I'm sure he geared the trip to our responses. If you are interested in using David you could check out his website at
http://www.cuscotoptravelperu.com/

Others guides have also been recommended on this site.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Like Yestravel, I suggest you go directly to the Sacred Valley. If you stay the first two nights in Cusco you might end up with "Soroche". Get a driver that could take you directly down and on your way down you can stop in Pisac and visit the ruins in Ollantaytambo. There in Ollanta is a great Hotel there called Pakaritambu and it is next to the train station that will take you to Machu Pichu the next morning. After your visit to MP stay if you can at the Machu Pichu Pueblo in Aguas Calientes for one night. The next morning visit the Hotel grounds and then take the train back to the SV. From there you may drive back to Cusco instead of the train that takes a good hour longer.

Once is Cusco spend your two days and nights visiting the area.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM

The train arrives in Ollanta around 5 pm from MP... Is that too late to drive a rental car back to Cusco, or should we spend the night in Ollanta?

Presently, our itinerary....

Friday 10:30 pm arrival Lima: night at airport hotel
Sat AM flight to Cusco; go to SV to acclimate...
Sat, Sun, and Mon Nites in Ollanta
Tues and Wed Nites in MP at Inca Terre/Pueblo
Thurs/Fri/Sat Nites in Cusco
Sun AM flight to Lima; Red Eye Depart to States

Question: Do we hire a driver for transport/touring to Ollanta that first day, and then another driver or same driver for Sunday back to Pisac for Market, then another or same driver for Monday touring of other SV sites, and then TRAIN back to Cusco after MP trip?

OR do we rent our own car? If so, should we consider staying in Ollanta first 2 nights, then leave car parked for 2 nights, Stay in Ollanta one additional night after the 2 in MP??? driving ourselves back to Cusco?

What's the best use of time, money, and easy on the altitude sensitive head, and allowing for celebratory libations on the train???

Thanks for comments! P.S. We're late 40's/Early 50's; comforatable and at ease driving in foreign countries.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM

I really like your itinerary and I still suggest that you do not drive specially if you are going to spend two nights in MP pueblo. The Inkaterra is just fabulous!

However you do not need to stay the three nights in Ollanta. Ollanta is a really small town and after visiting the ruins you can still walk the entire town in one day. I hope you stay at the Pakaritampu there. I suggest that your first two nights spend in the Sv. We stayed at the Sonesta Yucay and really liked it. There are other hotels there even better. Since you have a couple of days at the SV valley I recommend you have lunch or dinner at the Restaurant "El Huacatay" or "Tres Keros". Also visit "Taller Seminario" great place to see ceramic artists. The reason why I recommend you stay at Ollanta on the third night and at Pakaritampu is because it is next to the train station that will take you down to MP. Make sure the people at MP Puebo-Inkaterra are at the train station when you get to Aguas Caliente to take your luggage before you jump on the bus to MP

Good Luck