Search

Current Cancun Conditions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current Cancun Conditions

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has been to Cancun since the hurricane. I know many of the hotels are open and I was wondering what the conditions are like. I am also wondering about the beach. I saw a video online a week ago that showed the beach was coming back. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM

hi,
I think they've just started the beach renewal project, hope it a success...
If my hotel was open, and many of the best aren't (Marriotts, Ritz, Hilton, Omni) and won't be at least until late spring , I'd still go, albeit with lowered expectations. With so much foliage killed, there is no way the landscape will be as pretty for a while, although the town is furiously replanting...

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Most hotels are NOT open yet and the bach from mid HZ and North is still recovering although the "bay" side which faces North is good. Further South near the Royal Resorts the beach is fine. Foliage and gardens were destroyed mostly but the water is as pretty as ever and the weather is great. Venture downtown to Pizza Rolandi and walk around the busy avenues for fun.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:28 PM

Cancun won't really be ready for visitors until sometime after Easter 2006, at the earliest. Mexico offers many good destinations other than Miami-in Mexico, known as Cancun.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Try this site. www.cancuntravelonline.com

The message board seems to be run by a guy who lives there and he has some good info on hotnel openings and beach conditions. Based on everything I have read there are some hotels that had a big LOSS in beach and some that actually picked up some beach!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thank you for the website. I also found this website helpful:
http://www.entertainment-plus.net/CancunInfo.cfm
The videos and pictures are updated. It seems like the beach was badly damaged, but some of the new videos show it coming back. We also spoke with someone at the Le Meridien and he said there beach was coming back more and more. We are definitly still going forward with our February trip. As of now we have Le Meridien and Maroma booked. Le Meridien is already open anf Maroma is scheduled to open Jan. 23. I spoke with them as well and they said their beach was damaged, but that it is on it's way back. They explained it takes three full moon cycles for the beach to come back and that by February it will be back to normal.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM

flagging
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM

New to forum, nost of these post about Cancun conditions date back to mid-December. Now it's late January and I was wondering if anyone had a current update of after-hurricane conditions, not only in Cancun, but also Akumal and Tulum.
Are things starting to feel back to normal for a Feb.trip there?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Akumal and Talum are in good shape. There was not nearly the amount of damage there as there was in Cancun. The Philadelphia Inquirer had a big aticle in the Travel section last weekend. It seems Cancun is still in pretty bad shape. Most hotels are not yet open. It said Cancun is losing 15 million dollars a day in tourist revenue. We were in the Riviera Maya in December and things there were great. A few people on our flight had been in Cancun and said it's a very sad situation.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:28 AM

unfortunately, the promised beach reconstruction in Cancun still hasn't begun, and hotels are pushing back openings from April to June, and it makes one wonder if even those estimates are optimistic...
Playa and south are fine.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I spoke to someone who was in Cancun last week. She said so many hotels, stores and shops are closed, and don't even have glass in the windows yet.

She said her hotel (sorry, can't remember name) had to rake the beach every morning for glass that the ocean is still returning from the hurricane damage.

We are scheduled for late April, and I am not optimistic reading all of these reports. Sigh.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I was in Playacar two weeks ago, we did not go visit Cancun after talking to a couple that did and they said it is a ghost town there. the curtains in the big tall hotels are blowing in the wind outside of the hotels because there is no glass in them. If I were you I would try and change your hotel to Playacar, or Akumal. Some where way south of Cancun. Cozumel is also very badly damaged and nothing is open there either.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:39 AM

We just got back from Playa del Carmen and Tulum. There was virtually no hurricane damage in Tulum. Playa had traces of some damage - the condos and hotels very close to the water on the Playacar side of town seemed to suffer the worst destruction. However, the downtown area was 90% back to normal. We also stopped off at Akumal, and things looked pretty good there also. Lots of broken coral and other rubble piled up in some spots, but all in all Akumal was fine. However, we talked to someone on the flight back who had stayed in Cancun, and said the beach there was only 10' wide.
As I mentioned in another post, Tulum may well be the next Cancun in the coming years.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM

I did alot of research tonight on cancun - the website http://www.entertainment-plus.net/CancunInfo.cfm
has a ton of great pictures and videos that are updated regularly. While I am here, I was hoping that someone has been down by the Westin / Club Regina and if so if they could advise of the status. In looking at the pictures it appears that the entire beach is gone and the Westin won't open until May or June - that said I am not getting the true picture from the Club Regina people. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:44 AM

llars - I don't think you're getting an honest assessment from the Westin if your situation is similar to ours.

My husband's company was scheduled to have their 100% club trip there next week. The company had a hard time getting realistic opening info from the hotel. They rescheduled the trip to the end of April, and even then, the hotel could not guarantee an opening. The location changed to Le Meridian, which I think is someway affiliated with Starwood.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM

It seems like a lot of the hotels have moved their opening from February to May, including the Marriotts.
Checking over on tripadvisor.com yesterday, someone posted pics of the beach reconstruction project equipment, so it seems it will begin very soon.
karens, enjoy the LeMeridien, looks like a beautiful hotel, a nice step up from the Westin.