Cruising to Patagonia

Old Jun 12th, 1997, 05:49 AM
Rona Mendelsohn

Cruising to Patagonia

Does anyone have information about the best cruises around the cape of South America in late January/early February 1998? I'm taking my 88-year-old mother, so the accommodations must be comfortable. What will the weather be like?

Old Jun 21st, 1997, 01:06 PM
Peter Amelunxen

I'm making my plans for a trip in December to Torre del Paine National park in Patagonia-- no cruises though. But here's what I've found so far:
February is very busy month, summer vacations for the Chileans and Argentinians and everybody else. Make your reservations early. From what I hear, Torre del Paine is the favourite spot on land; you can touch the glaciers instead of watching them. Check if your trip includes a port stop in Punta Arenas, the park is few hours in car from there.

The beaches in the north (Valparaiso, Concepcion, etc.) get VERY crowded that time of year.

Have a good time.

Pete

Old Aug 19th, 1997, 11:35 AM
Victor Beelik

There is a 7 day cruise from Punta Arenas on the small cruise ship Australis. The cruise ttransitsts the straights of Magellan and the Beagle Chanel.

Old Sep 6th, 1997, 04:46 PM
Hernán Moya

there is a cruise company who works at the patagonic channels. Its internet homepage is www.australis.com They have a small cruise ship but very comfortable

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 09:08 AM
Carlos D. Cid

Dear Rona;
there is a travel-broker who made travel arrangements for me and my friends on trip like the one you are planning to have early next year.
should you find it suitable, I can provide you their phone and address or ask them to contact you, whatever you wish. Regards. Carlos

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 02:38 AM
Greg Lawrence

Orient Cruise Lines ship the Marco Polo offers the best standard of accomodation. It is a full blown cruise ship with ice strenghtened hull that cruises Antarctica and also rounds cape Horn. Better move fast as it books up a long time in advance, you may get a cancellation spot.

Old Dec 10th, 1997, 02:38 AM
Greg Lawrence

Orient Cruise Lines ship the Marco Polo offers the best standard of accomodation. It is a full blown cruise ship with ice strenghtened hull that cruises Antarctica and also rounds cape Horn. Better move fast as it books up a long time in advance, you may get a cancellation spot.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:11 AM
santiago

Updating the issue for the knowledge of other interested people. I think Patagonia region and specially Torres del Paine Park and also cruises on this zone offer amazing landscapes and adventures. <BR>For specific information do not hesitate to contact me.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Jill

I'm so happy to hear that Orient Lines (Marco Polo) does this itinerary! I have had wonderful experiences with the Marco Polo! Thanks...Jill