Cruise ship area of Rio ???

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Lee

Cruise ship area of Rio ???

We are beginning our South American cruise in Rio. We will fly into Rio the day before the ship sails.

Does anyone know where the port area is in Rio for ships? We want to stay in a hotel in this general area. Is it anywhere near Copacabana or Ipanema beaches?

THanks

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Don

Lee, I never took a cruise out of Rio but I have taken many planes. And on my way to the airport I have seen many ships, I don't think that where the ships would dock is a tourist area with a nice hotel. I would only recomend Copacabana or Ipanema and it couldn't be more than a 30 minute taxi ride to your ship. There are many hotels to choose from, let me know the price range or take a look at www.blameitonrio4travel.com.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Sergio

Listen,
Take the adress with the ship company and I help you stay near by port.
There are many ports in Rio where ships departure.
The Central area maybe is located about 1 hour from port.Be carefull.
Sergio

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Larry

Hi - The port where the cruise ships dock is very old and run down (the government of the city is trying to revive it), I wouldn't recommend your staying there. Stay in Copacabana and take a cab to the port when the time comes. The American dollar keeps on going up in value so a taxi ride to the port will cost you very little. I think the name of the place where the ships dock is called Praca Maua, pronounced
Prassa. It will take you about 10 minutes if the traffic is not during the rush hour.

The beaches of Ipanema are a little further away from the port.
Any other questions? Have a nice trip.
Larry

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Don

Lee, I thought that the place where ships dock may have been called Praca Maua as the previous post states. If it is or it might be very close to that then this is a notoriously rough area, stay on the beach a taxi to the ship may be less than $20.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Evelyn

Hello Lee,

As some other poster's thought, the cruise ship area is really called "Praca Maua" , and it is not a good area to stay ...about 20 minutes by taxi from Copacabana I think.

I would recommend to you staying in Copacabana -area for one night (because as you said you will do the cruise beginning the day after your arriving in Rio) ..
maybe you would like to see the homepage of Hotel Debret, which is called to be a very good, safe and economical hotel:
www.debret.com

If you have further questions about Rio, please do not hesitate to ask me, I am a real Brazil frequently traveller and especially love Rio!

Greetings
Evelyn

[email protected]